Game Architecture/Design Pattern?

Started by
16 comments, last by ApochPiQ 11 years ago

Typically the controller is also the place for handling all logic.

The concept "all logic" is quite wide. So I must state I disagree with your statement, as much of the game logic goes into the model. This statement does not help anyone how to implement a MVC pattern.

I can't think of a game where the MVC as a whole is not in real time

As a whole, usually, yes. But, I would argue that the Model isn't real-time. The View will need to know about FPS, and have the responsibility of making sure the player get feed back in real time. And the Controller definitely has real time requirements, even for turned based games (laggy mouse responses can kill any game).

The model will need to know about time, that is usually the case. Especially if it manages physical modelling. But it is enough to have an input function to the Model where it is told the current time, or the delta time since last call. For example, it will be possible to slow a game to slow motion by simply giving a down scaled time to the Model. The Model doesn't need to know that the game is currently in slow motion mode. Thus, the Model should not be concerned about real-time requirements. And the Model should usually not have to care about the CPU power.

Of course, there are complications depending on what type of game it is. The model must not use too much CPU, or the View and Controller may no longer fulfill the requirements. Some games, like chess, may have a complicated relation to time. That is, the model is allowed to use a limited real time to find the next move. But even in that case, I would delegate the real-time responsibility to outside of the Model.

typically the toggling between 1st/3rd Person Perspectives would also be stored as model data.

I disagree again. This is a typical example where the Model should not be involved. However, the Model will need to support the View with information needed to show data in both 1:st person and 3:rd person, but the Model shall not know, or care, whether the game is currently in any of these specific modes. There are always exceptions, of course.

[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
Advertisement

I think it's worth to mention the component based architecture which is quite attractive.

Basically it says that your main classes are containers of components and components are behaviors or features (like "Render", "Collide", "Controllable").

It's a way to avoid the duplication problem of the inheritance and big base classes.

However even if it solves the problem of the inheritance, it brings new problem (as the communication between components) but at least your code is more independent and intuitive.

A very nice article:

http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html

and also:

http://cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01/05/evolve-your-heirachy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_over_inheritance

Also please note that there are many different ways to implement this solution but the idea stays the same : you create some components which represent behaviors or features and you create your final object by assembling the components you need.

The Controller handles all input from keyboard, mouse, timers and OS signals.

Typically the controller is also the place for handling all logic. If you look at the MVC Wiki page, it shows the Controller as manipulating the model.

This is because the meaning of the controller has become lost over time.

Originally the controller was just the input handling part of the GUI - it would take input information and send it to the model, which performs the processing and changes its state. Then the view needs to be updated (perhaps notified by the controller that it needs to refresh) and that pulls the current state from the model.

Somewhere along the line people started treating the model as merely data and pushing more of the burden for changing the model into the controller, to the point where the controller is seen as the mediator between the data and the presentation. But that was not what MVC was intended to mean, nor how it was intended to be implemented. The idea is that both the controller and the view are interchangeable with other controllers and views, and the model encapsulates all the business logic and data without worrying about how it is getting its input or how it presents its output.

It's also worth noting that there can be multiple levels of 'model' in an app. The game data may constitute a model, with its own controller and view attached. But that view itself may contain its own model (eg. current position of objects on screen) which is maintained separately from its own presentation data. So it's important not to fall into the trap of dividing the app into 3 parts and wrongly merge unrelated things together, when really it's more about separating input and output from logic.

As i see, there's no best pattern... though I like to use managers since it's easier to me to read the code like this.

Your "managers" and GameMaster appear to be a rather arbitrary partitioning of game state, which can only cause needless and burdensome complications (for example, storing the GameStatus in two or more places and checking it redundantly).

Classes like EnemiesManager are inappropriate because using objects makes little sense:
  • There can be only one: no need to isolate different instances. On the other hand, game entities, like the individual enemies, could be objects (other sensible options exist).
  • There are no alternative implementations of a common interface; you are simply ripping out of GameMaster a part of the game logic that deals with enemies. Meaningful interfaces with (at least potentially) different implementation often include the "brains" of game entities (AI, user input and replay systems could control the exact same unit) or rendering (once you know what you need to draw, you can draw it in different ways).

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

You're all doing it wrong.

Design patterns and architectures are descriptions of how problems can be solved. They emphatically are not prescriptions of how to solve those problems in all future cases.

As soon as you start thinking of "the" design for some software, you have failed as a designer, architect, and engineer. There is no "the one right design" - ever. Even after you are done with your code, there is only "how I did it" versus "many other ways it could have been done."

Do not fall into the trap of exclusively and blindly using design habits, principles, patterns, guidelines, suggestions, recommendations, or anything else. Do not reach for some off-the-shelf solution to every design problem.

Use your brain and think about how best to solve the unique problem you are currently facing. Otherwise, you're not doing your job. Being lazy with your solutions will bite you eventually. Resist the urge to get stuck in a design rut.

In short: your question is broken. Un-ask it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

To be fair, I think "how do you structure your games" is a reasonable question, as is "are there any architecture/patterns for structuring the objects", because patterns would help describe the structure. I don't think it's true that overall game structure is a unique problem that needs every individual to work out independently how to solve it.

I'm not saying there's no value in studying other people's solutions; I'm saying that just lifting someone else's approach wholesale into an arbitrary new project is a recipe for disaster.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement