Are my graphics good enough, Please comment

Started by
10 comments, last by Galgore_Graphics 11 years, 1 month ago

I have been dabling with computer aided graphics for over 10 years but never got to serious about it. I have done alot of 3d graphics in the past but now am really into Pixel art, and with the growing popularity of Tablet PC's I can see a good market for it.. But I just don't know if I am talented enough to make any kind of income from my art. So a link below is to my website where I have several pixel art drawings of mine. Please tell me if you think I am good enough to make it, or if I should do something else and forget art.

Thank you

https://sites.google.com/site/matherhornpixelstudio/home/building

Advertisement

Your work is not bad but there is not a lot of it. If you want a serious critique you need to exhibit much more and in various styles. "Pixel art" itself is not a style so much as a medium so you should display other kinds of pixel art as well as other kinds of art generally -- don't limit your portfolio to pixel art.

Making an income from art in any context -- videogame related or not -- is a difficult thing to do so don't put the cart before the horse. Practice, etc.

Based on the way you posed your question, without looking at anything at all, I'd say move on. Pessimistic views like that will get you in trouble in the long run and if you hold on to that you're just going to get run over by others with more confidence but potentially less skill/talent.

To answer your question directly, your work (what you posted anyway) isn't bad, but it's not great either. It's a start. But just like anything, you can only get better with practice. Pixel art, like any other medium, takes time and practice to get good at.

So, keep at it, study the work of others (that's an important one), read various tutorials and how-to's, draw draw draw, and have some confidence in yourself.

-Lead developer for OutpostHD

http://www.lairworks.com

well thank you, confidence has always been a issue of mine. I think I'll push forward and dive into art.

To be honest there is currently a massive demand for artists of all calibers in the mobile / tablet space.

I don't think you'd have a problem getting a freelance gig on a project.

Thanks Buster, thats the most encouraging fact i've heard in years.. Was gonna zone out and play MMO's but now want to draw.. Much appreciated

I think you certainly have some of the core elements that are needed. As many others before me have said, you would need to practice and obtain more skill before you would make any substantial type of money. Freelance work is all over the place and the lower your prices the more likely you are to be picked up. Depending on your age and what you need, money wise, you could very certainly use some of your time to try and make this happen.

The key for you is to pick a field you desire most and focus on that. I hate the concept of practice makes perfect but when it comes to art it is the truth. If you lack skill initially you must gain it through diligent trial and error. Whatever your choices is, good luck and keep looking to make yourself better. If you have questions or want to show off your work and get suggestions please feel free to do so. I think there are plenty of us here who would not mind helping those who are trying to learn.

Thanks Riuth, Where would I find freelance opportunities?

You can post your stuff up on deviantArt, polycount, here, and there is a few forums that specialize in gameArt. I can give you direct links if you desire

I can google search for deviantArt, polycount, I know here didnt know you could use it for payed work.. but any other links wouid be great thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement