Sony and the PS4, I'm Impressed. Your Thoughts?

Started by
64 comments, last by warhound 11 years, 1 month ago

WTF. Maybe they did so in Japan? I haven't been following but that would be really serious issue (and dumb beyond words).

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement

Are you not offended that Sony thinks you can be driven to buy their product by sex?

So I guess you are offended by every ad campaign (targetted at anyone who isn't a child) going then as they are all basically driven by sex in some regard or another.

So I guess you are offended by every ad campaign (targetted at anyone who isn't a child) going then as they are all basically driven by sex in some regard or another.

One of many reasons I do not watch TV. I haven’t seen any ads besides the family-oriented Nintendo ones on the trains.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Are you not offended that Sony thinks you can be driven to buy their product by sex?

I actually do get quite offended at some of those ads, particularly the ones the blatantly advertise cheating

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I was hoping for next-gen hardware and not off-the-shelves PC hardware that currently exists... Besides a controller for main input (something MS games on PCs are sort of adapting to), the proprietary and cost-efficient hardware specs that beats PC performance for the next few years is what makes a console different from a PC. From what I've seen, this console can output graphical quality comparable to Battlefield 3 on PC on max settings that came out in late 2011. This console probably coming out late this year.

OS functionality social media/gaming has taken off nowadays, but is what Sony going to do anymore unique from what other platforms are doing now? If so and it's popular, the others would eventually copy them... Any "breakthrough" OS feature is just a firmware update away, and I'm sure today's hardware, especially the 1GB of dedicated OS memory (smart move) could handle whatever they come up with. It's just a matter of thinking it up, and having the server back-end to support it.

Again, social gaming has been around on PCs longer than consoles. According to the Bungie ViDocs, some people didn't think Halo 1's matchmaking service was a "console-y" thing to do, and more of a PC feature. But that seemed to pay off really well for Halo, CoD, and Battlefield. If you take away bleeding-edge hardware, will proprietary gaming services and a controller make the difference?

I was hoping for next-gen hardware and not off-the-shelves PC hardware that currently exists... Besides a controller for main input (something MS games on PCs are sort of adapting to), the proprietary and cost-efficient hardware specs that beats PC performance for the next few years is what makes a console different from a PC. From what I've seen, this console can output graphical quality comparable to Battlefield 3 on PC on max settings that came out in late 2011. This console probably coming out late this year.

Consoles have never--not once--had better hardware than PCs of like era. They have had different and specialized hardware for most of their existence, to some degree or another, but console performance is outsized compared to a similarly powerful PC because their whole is greater than the sum of their parts, and further still because there is only one "whole", not the jumbled, piecemeal, every-PC-is-a-beautiful-snowflake landscape.

Recall that the original Xbox was even closer to a bog-standard PC, and how it generated graphics that no essentially identical Windows PC could dream of touching. The PS3 and 360 today are doing things that no like-powered PC could accomplish, albeit with unique architecture. The PS4 and (rumored) Xbox Next spec do cite some custom silicon, though, so they've still got some specialized grunt uniquely their own.

When you make one single hardware spec, designed for games, then cut OS and driver overhead to the bone, and then turn developers loose on it, you literally multiply the effectiveness of the hardware several fold -- not necessarily in useless benchmark numbers -- but absolutely in terms of real results.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Yeah, the hardware will be more cost-efficient than a PC, because it'll be mass produced in it's single configuation in very large production runs. It will then also outperform similarly spec'ed PC hardware, because there'll be less OS/Driver overheads than on PC, and developers will be able to spend a disproportionately large time optimizing for that single hardware specification (whereas on PC they have to optimize for endless configurations). It's still got these traits that make consoles beat out PCs.

When the PS3 launched in 06, it shipped with what was nVidia's best PC GPU at the time, but within 6 months it was no longer top-of-the-line. Anyone who has the PC equivalent of that GPU in their PC is no longer supported -- it's too slow, and lacking in features (no DX10/11) so most new games don't even bother being compatible with it any more... However, the PS3 versions of these games obviously are compatible with such a GPU, because they can get around the driver and also compensate for it's failings with the CPU, knowing exactly how much CPU power they have (on a PC, a user with this GPU will likely also have a very slow CPU, so you can't compensate).

Even if the PS4 is just a current top-of-the-line PC, it'll still be able to survive against 5 years of PC upgrades, just like the PS2 and PS3 did.

Anyway, I don't know of many PC's with GDDR5 main memory, nor an 8-core CPU... So it's a damn high spec PC.

Consoles have never--not once--had better hardware than PCs of like era.

I'd say that the PS3 shipped with a better (measured by theoretical peak performance) CPU than PC's at the time. In fact, it still beats out some CPU's from 5 years later wink.png

When you make one single hardware spec, designed for games, then cut OS and driver overhead to the bone, and then turn developers loose on it, you literally multiply the effectiveness of the hardware several fold -- not necessarily in useless benchmark numbers -- but absolutely in terms of real results.

That's a good point. I was wondering if a stripped-down OS would make the difference. Having its own reserved memory is also great because getting 8GB really means you're getting that. I remember Naughty Dog saying that the tech demo of Uncharted 2 couldn't run on household PS3 yet simply because Sony hasn't finished a firmware update yet that would cut down the memory footprint of the OS allowing Uncharted 2 to have just enough free memory to run.

When the PS3 launched in 06, it shipped with what was nVidia's best PC GPU at the time, but within 6 months it was no longer top-of-the-line.

That's interesting to hear, and both your posts made clear that I need to know my PC hardware better! All I've heard was from news sites lately was that the PS4's specs were off-the-shelf PC hardware and the specs were a step up from the PS3, but nothing bleeding-edge like the PS3's was. Now that I know the PS3 was surpassed by shear processing power (not taking into account OS overhead), I could see where this hardware would shine.

If they take anything away from mobile gaming platforms, I would hope they consider giving Indie Games a shot with like a $99 dev kit or something simple similar to XNA, but with the review process we'll be seeing with Steam's Greenlight program where gamers get a say on if they want the game on the platform or not. They could restrict us to a limited download size of the game like 2GB since we're not full, disk-based developers. I think that would be fair, and it gels well with the PS4 official announcement doc:

Gamer Focused, Developer Inspired

PS4 was designed from the ground up to ensure that the very best games and the most

immersive experiences reach PlayStation gamers. PS4 accomplishes this by enabling the
greatest game developers in the world to unlock their creativity and push the boundaries of
play through a system that is tuned specifically to their needs.

I think the PS4's question is whether or not it can result in an innovative gaming experience. I am impressed by the tech specs, but....I really don't know beyond that...

At this point, I think innovation is with whatever new peripheral Sony and 3rd parties decide to support. IMO, Wii U missed the boat on that one. But we'll see if Sony incorporates the Move with the neuro-headsets I've been reading about. Or even the VR helmets now being made.

I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn out to be some gimmick that has no real value to it. The touchpad thing in particular makes me skeptical....that being said, I'm impressed with the social features, but am not sure how they will figure into games.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I really do hope Sony takes the initiative here and opens the system up to more independent developers and relax their requirements for dev kits. I personally believe that it would be a HUGE plus over competitors if they offer this. Otherwise, I'm just going to stick to PC development since it's just easier to get my game out there...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement