• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BroderickCalpe

Rotate board with objects on top

10 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've created a board game. I want to be able to rotate my board with all the objects on top.

The problem I'm having is that when I rotate the board the objects on to seem to stay still.

I've added physics to it using Bullet Physics engine but don't know how to proceed.

Please help.

Examples would be appreciated.

You want Physics for a board game? We must have a different mental picture of what a board game is... If you are trying to rotate the board to show a different perspective of the board, I would think of that as "moving the camera". If you want the pieces to actually be accelerated outwards because of centrifugal force then, sure, do it with a Physics simulation.

I'm new at this. What I want to achieve is to be able to rotate my board and all the objects on top should rotate with the board.

Like chess, if I rotate the board all the pieces should follow the rotation of the board.

The way it is now for me is that the board rotates but the objects on to stay still. Looks weird.

Maybe I don't need physics at all. But how can I achieve this rotation ??

I created my board using Blender, imported it to my game.

Then in my render method I draw everything.

Here I wanted to just rotate for testing purpose.

So the only way to make it look like you rotate the board with everything on it is my rotating the camera ?

No, you can rotate everything. Just apply the same rotation to the board and to the pieces. I don't understand where your first attempt went wrong.

I just rotated the board object. I thought that the objects on top would follow the board automatically somehow but they didn't. So that's where I'm at.

Well, if your scene is organized as a tree where the board is the parent of all the pieces, rotating just the board should work. If they are disconnected objects, rotate them all.

here's my guess:

your current update order for objects:

1) update pieces

2) set the rotation matrix

3) update board

Since the rotation is taking place AFTER the pieces have been updated, the board is the only thing moving

set it up such that:

1) set the rotation matrix

2) update pieces

3) update board

However, my guess is that you should actually be doing more what Alvaro said -- rotate the camera position and keep the board / pieces where they are

Yeah, I'd rotate the camera too ;) Or else have the piece positions relative to the board (so apply the board transform and then the piece transform to get the world space transform).

If that fails increase the friction on the base of the pieces so that they don't slide about as much when the board rotates. And give them a low centre of gravity so they don't topple over. But don't spin the board too quickly ;)

Rotate your camera using the center of the board as your pivot point. That way all the objects on the board including the board will rotate when the camera rotate. No need to rotate each individual pieces.

Edited by BornToCode