Selling games on Steam

Started by
5 comments, last by tboxx 11 years, 1 month ago

Does anybody know what is the Steam's usual cut?

My project: Halved-Circles Mine - 2D mining-puzzle-platformer with destructible terrain and physics simulation

http://halvedcirclesmine.com | Youtube | Facebook

Advertisement

No, because it's under NDA as far as I know. In fact, I believe (note: never contacted Valve, so I could be wrong) that it's negotiated depending on the game, which may explain why they don't want to disclose numbers.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Unconfirmed rumours state that the industry standard appears to be about 30% for steam, iTunes, amazon, etc.

Could be wrong, but I've read it in a few places.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Unconfirmed rumours state that the industry standard appears to be about 30% for steam, iTunes, amazon, etc. Could be wrong, but I've read it in a few places.

Apple, at least, is very open about taking a 30% cut. The others are generally around the same percentage, but mostly aren't as straightforward.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

facebook takes 30% too from in-app purchase. so it makes sense Steam would bargain for the same, unless you can offer a tastier deal.

A recent article which may find of use.

Defender's quest - by the numbers

Whilst it does not pertain directly to the percentage question of the OP I do believe it contains sufficient material to be a worthy adjunct to this particular thread.

In addition to what has been mentioned above with reagrds Steam's cuts being variable from game to game or organisation to organisation, I have also read that Steam has also shown some flexibility in reducing their cut when a product undergoes a massive discount sale. How broadly this applies I don't know.

A recent article which may find of use.

Defender's quest - by the numbers

Whilst it does not pertain directly to the percentage question of the OP I do believe it contains sufficient material to be a worthy adjunct to this particular thread.

In addition to what has been mentioned above with reagrds Steam's cuts being variable from game to game or organisation to organisation, I have also read that Steam has also shown some flexibility in reducing their cut when a product undergoes a massive discount sale. How broadly this applies I don't know.

I bet Valve also considers taking a lower % to attract big studios to signup with them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement