What game type do you prefer and why?

Started by
23 comments, last by sunandshadow 11 years ago

What game type do you prefer and why?

Please answer on the poll, if you have another result, just say so. You can also say why you picked what you did, or even your second or third option.

Come on, we need more voters! Currently over 360 people have visited, but only ~18 comments.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Haha - I voted second, and the results say that whoever the first person was we have exactly opposite taste in genres, excluding shooter which neither voted for. This is not statistically meaningful, just struck me as funny.

I voted other for genres - I like plant and animal breeding tycoons/sims, pet monster tactical combat RPGs, adventure games, and time management. Even of the types I didn't vote for, like sandbox, I like a few, like crafting focused MMOs (Wurm Online, Tale In The Desert) though both of those are a bit to realistic and dark and graphically-poor for my taste. Or, I've played some campaign games where you get a sandbox to spend your rewards developing in between missions. Or some MMOs where you get a personal plot of land or house to play with, maybe grow crops there, but it's not really related to the main progression of quests locations. Same thing for roguelikes - I generally don't like them but I liked Azure Dreams a lot, which is a 3D roguelike with pet monsters.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Well, as it is my poll, I voted first biggrin.png (felt like it!!).

I enjoy making games to get better at programming, so I'm going to try to make the communities favorite, and post it on gamedev when it's done. Who knows, it might turn out pretty good.

More people should vote and comment, it won't hurt. I carefully read each reply to get your opinion.

Well I voted so felt I should reply. :)

I love roguelikes in general and I also adore Azure Dreams. I love sandboxy games and anything that gives players the freedom to play in various different ways and still have fun. I also voted RTS... I honestly don't like them all that much in general... but I played starcraft... a lot, like a real lot, like I was legitimately trying to go pro at it... so I guess I'll always have a soft spot for the RTS genre.

For the second part... I'm an old school gamer. My PS3 and 360 gather dust while I still play games from the late 90s regularly. I'll always prefer hand drawn 2D graphics to 3d.

I'm working on a game! It's called "Spellbook Tactics". I'd love it if you checked it out, offered some feedback, etc. I am very excited about my progress thus far and confident about future progress as well!

http://infinityelephant.wordpress.com

Thanks for taking your time and commenting..

Sandbox games are indeed fun, Minecraft is quite popular, and was Terraria, a 2D sandbox game. I once tried making something like Terraria, I can't say it was easy, very frustrating sometimes, but I enjoyed seeing how I progressed each time I debugged the game. But, the main reason why I gave up on my Terraria-Clone was because I couldn't get the collisions to work correctly, it was all fine until I added Jumping and moving at the same time.

I also enjoyed Starcraft and Broodwar back in the day, not to mention that I preordered Hots and am waiting for it. I too prefer 2D over 3D in most genres.

Has anyone played the Diablo series? I enjoyed those a lot too..

This is something I made a few months ago.. Thought some might be interested: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285625

Does anyone like the idea of making a Dwarf Fortress clone with high quality 32bit png tiles(20x20)?

Does anyone like the idea of making a Dwarf Fortress clone with high quality 32bit png tiles(20x20)?

No.

If you can only describe your game by using the title of someone else's game, followed by the word clone, it doesn't justify it's own existence. I'm sure you are talented on your own, and have something unique to say, that you don't need to waste your time cloning other people's work.

I'm missing strategy on that list (not RTS since those tends to be more about micromanaging your units than actual strategy and therefore suck(in my opinion) (Total war is an exception, it rocks).

Nothing beats a good game of Civilization.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

No.

If you can only describe your game by using the title of someone else's game, followed by the word clone, it doesn't justify it's own existence. I'm sure you are talented on your own, and have something unique to say, that you don't need to waste your time cloning other people's work.

Thanks for the feedback, I do have a game idea, but I liked DF, and thought a more complex version would be nicer. I do have a game idea, and am working on it. /rpg

I'm missing strategy on that list (not RTS since those tends to be more about micromanaging your units than actual strategy and therefore suck(in my opinion) (Total war is an exception, it rocks).

Nothing beats a good game of Civilization.

Added Strategy and a few more.

I would have Hack n' Slash/RPG split into two categories. I prefer the traditional turn based RPG style game. I consider Games like Diablo and such to be hack n' slash which in my opinion is not the same as a straight out RPG.

So for my vote it would be a traditional turn based RPG.
*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***

I would have Hack n' Slash/RPG split into two categories. I prefer the traditional turn based RPG style game. I consider Games like Diablo and such to be hack n' slash which in my opinion is not the same as a straight out RPG.

So for my vote it would be a traditional turn based RPG.

I've added turn based RPG. Currently from the looks of it most of the voters prefer sandbox games, would you prefer 3D, like Minecraft, or 2D, like Terraria?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement