Understanding Game Design?

Started by
11 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 1 month ago

Well our last post didn't get very warm responses because I guess we seem like time wasters.

Anyways we'd like to know more about the various topics of game design, what tools are used and what their capabilities are. We'd also like to know more about what skills individuals would be required to posses and what their various responsibilities are in the industry.

We don't intend to become programmers or graphic artists at this time, but if we have a more thourough understanding of the industry, maybe we'll come to find something we'd like to get into.

So if there are any good books on this please let us know.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Games are a fun thing to work on, but the industry is a hard one. Here are some ways to learn about it.

Read as many articles on this site as you can, and take them to heart: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Watch some stuff by Extra Credits. A great place to start would be their video "

">So you want to be a game designer."

Unity 3D is a fantastic tool to use to get into making games. (Dungeonland is the most recent example that comes to mind of a game made with Unity.) You will need to be able to program in order to use this tool...and that's true of virtually tool I can think of, even the very simple ones like Dark Basic and Gamemaker. You could use something like RPGMaker which allows you to pseudo-program using lots of dropdown menus, but even it allows you to write your own code which is necessary for all but the most very basic of JRPGs you can build with that program.

If you want to design games, you want to get into the industry. The easier the position is to get in the industry (and, make no mistake, none of them are easy to get) the harder your climb up to "Game Designer" will be. There's really no such thing as a pure idea guy. For more on that, spend time on Sloperama's advice site.

I hope that's helpful.

we'd like to know more about the various topics of game design, what tools are used

The main tools of a game designer are word processors, spreadsheets, the internet, and art utilities. If you're asking about game programming, that's an entirely different thing. Then there are level designers, who are part game designer, part programmer, part artist, and part architect.

http://www.igda.org/games-game-july-2006

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson14.htm

http://www.igda.org/node/1042748

http://sloperama.com/advice/m69.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson10.htm

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson16.htm

[Edit] You asked about books on game design.

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson8.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Games are a fun thing to work on, but the industry is a hard one. Here are some ways to learn about it.

Read as many articles on this site as you can, and take them to heart: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

Watch some stuff by Extra Credits. A great place to start would be their video "

">So you want to be a game designer."

Unity 3D is a fantastic tool to use to get into making games. (Dungeonland is the most recent example that comes to mind of a game made with Unity.) You will need to be able to program in order to use this tool...and that's true of virtually tool I can think of, even the very simple ones like Dark Basic and Gamemaker. You could use something like RPGMaker which allows you to pseudo-program using lots of dropdown menus, but even it allows you to write your own code which is necessary for all but the most very basic of JRPGs you can build with that program.

If you want to design games, you want to get into the industry. The easier the position is to get in the industry (and, make no mistake, none of them are easy to get) the harder your climb up to "Game Designer" will be. There's really no such thing as a pure idea guy. For more on that, spend time on Sloperama's advice site.

I hope that's helpful.

Thaks thade. I'll be sure to visit those links you posted. I appreciate it! : )

I'd like to point out that "the industry" is a term usually reserved for medium and large studios, especially ones that have already published either one big game or multiple little games. Gamedev has a fairly high percentage of non-industry game designers and developers, otherwise known as indies. Indy game developers work in small teams, use contractors for what the core team members can't provide, and the funding for the project is usually provided by the designer or co-creators. If you have no relevant skills, you might consider obtaining money instead, because being a backer is the single easiest way to be involved in game development.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Well our last post didn't get very warm responses because I guess we seem like time wasters.

Your last post did in fact receive warm responses :). If you think about it -- what happened is that a number of us stood up and pointed out to you that based on what you had written, you were headed in a direction that was destined not to succeed. What stands to your credit is that you have not simply run away from the site as some people have in the past when faced with advice they didn't want to hear, but have instead begun a new thread that inquires about a specific field within the games industry. Effectively you have learnt a small but very important lesson when it comes to making games. Don't be disturbed by the fact that there is an awful lot to learn, virtually everyone begins as a "noob" with a pipe dream. Learning to move beyond this point is a lesson many choose not to learn. So good luck and continue to research, learn and ask for advice where relevant.

Just remember one thing, this site practices a version of tough love when needed, so if you find yourself suddenly buried in a deluge of posts going NAY! It is not meant with unkindness, just merely a desire not to have you walk off the cliff and fall to your doom.

Your last post did in fact receive warm responses smile.png. If you think about it -- what happened is that a number of us stood up and pointed out to you that based on what you had written, you were headed in a direction that was destined not to succeed. What stands to your credit is that you have not simply run away from the site as some people have in the past when faced with advice they didn't want to hear, but have instead begun a new thread that inquires about a specific field within the games industry. Effectively you have learnt a small but very important lesson when it comes to making games. Don't be disturbed by the fact that there is an awful lot to learn, virtually everyone begins as a "noob" with a pipe dream. Learning to move beyond this point is a lesson many choose not to learn. So good luck and continue to research, learn and ask for advice where relevant.

Just remember one thing, this site practices a version of tough love when needed, so if you find yourself suddenly buried in a deluge of posts going NAY! It is not meant with unkindness, just merely a desire not to have you walk off the cliff and fall to your doom.

Thanks for the advice.

The field of game design seems like a very interesting one. I was mislead by that title for a while, but now I have a little further understanding thanks to the links a few people gave me.

If me and my brother intend to learn more about this industry and maybe try and go for a very small indie production we'd obviously be directing/coordinating the whole process as well as "designing" the game! XD

We don't intend to become programmers or graphic artists at this time,

That's the key problem :) Since you are a writer I will give an example from the writing world. Imagine someone approched you with a "great story", all you have to do is "write the book", you would split the profits 50:50. Would you go for it?

No one needs "designers" (understood as people who only give ideas and supervise things), because everyone has their own great stories to make. The people willing to dirty their hands is what devs need.

You see, from our point of view a post like yours is like "I don't know an alphabet and I don't intend to learn it but I have a great idea for a novel" :)

If me and my brother intend to learn more about this industry and maybe try and go for a very small indie production we'd obviously be directing/coordinating the whole process as well as "designing" the
game! XD

I have not heard about even one indie studio where the founders were not programmers/artists. Directing and coordinating simply is not what is required.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I have not heard about even one indie studio where the founders were not programmers/artists. Directing and coordinating simply is not what is required.

You forgot about those started by people with money but no technical skill. Admittedly some of the examples I am thinking of have shifted into Triple A.

A couple of immediate examples that come to mind:

Tom Clancy, who co-founded Red Storm Entertainment from the profits made from his writing.

Curt Schilling, who founded 38 Studios (aka Green Monster Games) from the earnings made from and associated with his baseball career.

Admittedly it might be argued that these don't meet the definition of "indie" but as far as I am concerned both of those examples started that way.

---------------------

Yet take note - In both cases -- these people bought large sums of money to the table to make their companies happen, I doubt either could have done it without the money.

Yeah, the issue is one of credibility. If you have at least a couple hundred thousand or more to pay some salary that is one thing. Raising that kind of money is not easy, unless you have a couple top-selling games you played a leading role in already (and even with those credentials, fundraising is by no means easy).

Getting people to join without pay is difficult, even if you give up substantial equity. It requires you to sell a vision. If you have never done a game before, you lack credibility. If you have nothing to show, you lack credibility. Even a visually appealing, polished, GDD and presentation that you took 3 years to write, sadly, probably isn't going to be enough to give you credibility. At a minimum, you need either some nice art, or a prototype, to have a chance at successful recruiting people to join your team with no salary.

That's the approach I'm taking-- program a playable prototype, with the initial art coming from cheap royalty free images as well as royalty free sound effects which I hope to complete end of this year. At that point, I'll be able to shake hands with artists, hand them my iPad and let them play the game as part of my recruitment pitch to see if they are willing to join the project.

The #1 credibility question that prospective team members and investors will ask you for is "can you successfully produce something real"?

Which answer will have a higher success rate making the pitch?

"Here is a working prototype, it is a playable demo version though it is missing many features and art. Play this game and let me know what you think"

"Look at this concept art and UI mockups for all the major screen types that I've put together"

"I haven't programmed anything, I have no artistic ability, I never have been involved in video game production before.. but check out my game idea and design document"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement