How would I include Xna dlls with my app so the user won't have to download them.

Started by
5 comments, last by WeNeedFocus 11 years, 1 month ago

I heard somewhere before that I can include the dlls with the game so that the user won't have to download and install Xna redis.

If you curious why, because I find it easier to give it to the players, then to make them download it.

Advertisement

Many computers already have XNA installed on them. Otherwise I don't think its possible, Microsoft set it up this way so they could update the framework freely without requiring developers to update their references and recompile. Now that XNA is discontinued though that's not really the case. Look at MonoGame... Windows DirectX platform on that in specific, that does not require any redist installations as it uses SharpDX.

Well, the reason why I want to do this is because I don't want my users to download a discontinued framework. But I heard this was possible.

I don't think end-users really care if a framework is discontinued or not. Many games still use XNA and thus many computers already have XNA installed on them.

Anyway I tried googling and... http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8145955/is-it-possible-to-run-an-xna-game-without-net-or-xna-installed

Sorry if I couldn't help :( I'm sure I tried looking all around on how to skip this installation over a year ago and I would remember if I found a solution on doing so.

Alright, thanks.

You can't give them the individual DLL files that constitute the XNA redist, however you can include the redist installer with your application, so they won't need to go to Microsoft's webpage to get it.

Yea, I was thinking about this. Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement