'Jollymate!' Feedback on new IOS styled tune?

Started by
5 comments, last by CaseP 11 years, 1 month ago

Hey guys, here once again showing you one of my recent compositions, this time an upbeat and jolly tune in the style of a puzzle/platform game designed to fit within the IOS market.

Jollymate! (Soundcloud)

I'm sure some of you mega music maniacs will have something to tell me about this track I've worked on for the past few days, good, bad, anything to get it sounding as good as it possibly can. Even any game style suggestions that this track would possibly fit other than the ones I've mentioned. smile.png

Thanks, Case.

Advertisement

Very appropriate for the retro style! I enjoyed it. I do feel like it could use a stronger "B" section to help fill out the song's structure. You've got some cute (and effective) breaks here and there but a true contrasting section that differs from the overall flavor you're presenting will help the song feel more fleshed out.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks for the great feedback once again, man.

For the 'B' section do you mean something that would fit at around 1:45? I feel something other than a loop back to the intro would fit nicely there so I may try adding something different at that part. I often struggle on changing a tune too much, do you have any suggestions?

No, a bit more different to help make the return back to the A portion that much more effective.

Try a few steps:

changing the mode (for example major into minor)

changing the key (perhaps from C to Bb then go back)

change the melody and/or progression

A way to do some of this is by taking the current melody and then rearranging it or even reversing the melody. All kinds of methods can make it!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks, well I did some alterations and added a brand new section to it. I replaced the original file so it uses the same link:

Jollymate!

In my opinion, this works much better than just having two sections. Let me know what you / anyone else thinks. :)

Cheers!

You really nailed the up-beat and happy theme you were going for, I actually listened to it more than just once. laugh.png

I only heard two things that threw me off, but they could be completely stylistic choices.

1) The hi-hats sounded like they could use some velocity alteration.

2) The crash cymbal seems a little too frequent, I feel like if you doubled the space in between each hit it would have more of an effect.

Both my criticisms are obviously more opinionated, and on the technical side, the song sounds pretty professional, I really liked it.

Thanks, Tim! I've listened back and I totally agree with you on your first point, so I'm going to addd some velocity changes, as for number 2, I'll give that a go too to see if I like it with less cymbals. Thanks for the great feedback! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement