What GUI Toolkit Would Be Best For My Game Editor?

Started by
15 comments, last by MrJoshL 11 years, 1 month ago

I am starting today on my game editor, and one of the first things I am doing is choosing what GUI toolkit I should use. I would really like if it was cross-platform and based on C, which is what my whole project is written in. I just need to have a few things to display the contents of a database, adjust values, have a utility bar, and have a place to show a representation of the game world as it is being built. What are your favorites, and do you have suggestions and/or advice?

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Advertisement
Here you go
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_widget_toolkits#Based_on_C_.28including_bindings_to_other_languages.29

GTK is pretty common on linux, so maybe that?

Have you used it? Which one do you recommend? Why?

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

If you're limiting yourself to C and want it to be cross-platform, I think GTK+ is the way to go. High-profile programs like the GIMP and (apparently) Firefox use it so it sounds very mature and stable.

Have you used it? Which one do you recommend? Why?

I have not used GTK+ before. In fact, I have no experience with GUI programming. However, I have noticed a majority of programs on linux uses GTK+ or QT. Qt is C++, so that leaves GTK+. And like what Bearhugger said, GIMP is an example of a program that uses GTK+. Take a look at that to see if you like it.

I'm working on an editor for an engine, and I'm using the win32 API! I swear I'm not lying! I can't prove even to myself that I'm not crazy though.

I'll quote a previous post of myself for my opinion and experience with the API.

I'm one of the few that actually don't hate the win32 GUI API. It's object-oriented, light-weight (compared to the alternatives), it's native, and it has a rich set of controls. On the other hand, it's a C API, it's not easy to get into for lack of comprehensive introductory documentation, MS did not include a designer with the free versions of VS, and it's not so popular these days. But it's a very powerful library once you get your head around how it works and how to write your own custom controls, and most importantly, it's native, so you wouldn't have to deal with all that interop bulls**t to have the editor work with your native graphics engine, and you wouldn't have to learn C#/VB if you don't already know them.

Anyway, whether you end up using it or something else is up to you, and I wouldn't blame you for turning to another library, but maybe what you're aiming to accomplish isn't really that difficult to make in win32. From your description, a thin wrapper library like win32++ sounds like a perfect fit for your needs. It has lots of samples to start from.

sgss1.jpg

@Amr0 Something tells me that that is not a screenshot of your editor...

Tell me more about your editor Amr0, it looks interesting.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

@Amr0 Something tells me that that is not a screenshot of your editor...

It is. It's not my engine though if that's what you mean...

Tell me more about your editor Amr0, it looks interesting.

It's a work in progress. I've already mentioned it's being made using the Win32 API. Anything specific you want to know more about? Also, what's with the down-votes? I have reviewed what I have posted and I can't seem to find anything objectionable!!!??!

Yep, the flowcharts. Do you use a 3rd party library for them? I have no idea about the Win32 API :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement