Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Own Web Server

This topic is 5900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have opted to develop my web server as part of my final year engineering project, you can say just another Apache Clone. I know this sounds like reinventing the wheel, but I want to do something that deals with some core linux programming for my project. Do you know any sites/books dedicated to making your own server. Or sites that deals with concepts on binding to a port, using inetd, etc...I want to do this in C/C++. Any little help would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance, San.

Programming Linux Applications is a good one. I also recommend getting the big book on Unix Network Programming by Stevens. K&R and Bjarne''s books are both mandatory. A good copy of the RFC for http and html might be handy to have printed out. I''d recommend doing just a static webserver for the time being.. without any mods or what not ..Keep the project relatively simple.

Magnwa

Guest Anonymous Poster
''Begining Linux Programming'' from wrox is a pretty readable book that covers sockets, semaphores, multi process programs, etc etc.

For a more dense, reference approach, I like the book ''Practical UNIX programming.''

The book Linux Programming Unleashed from SAMS has the source code to a minimal web server like app. It is an extremely minimal web server but it might be a good start for your project... the ISBN is: 0-672-31607-2

You will find these examples in the TCP/IP and Socket Programming chapter of the book...

Hope this helps...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer