Eager Chap to start in game design;advice wanted!

Started by
2 comments, last by Lauran Lorin 11 years, 1 month ago

First of all i would like to thank the owners of this forum for creating such a community;for people like me(who live in countries like Romania)such forums are basicly the only source of viable knowledge for gaming careers.

To introduce myself i am 23 years old(24 next month biggrin.png )avid gamer since....God knows;as long as i am aware of myself.

The obvious dream is to:MAJOR SPOILER ALERT design games.

I graduated from a foreign languages High-school went to a Law College and am currently working as IT Support for a major communication multi-national.

Not the best choices towards what i want you might say.

I have a major flaw and that is MATH.

I dont hate it as much as i have a hard time with it.

I loved computer science stuff ever since but i dont like math(I know im preety twisted)

Otherwise i consider myself a creative person,whenever i have ideea sparks i write them down,but as i saw here and on extra credits on youtube;everyone has ideeas so thats not enough.

I can say i have a passion for anthropology and psychology,I like learning what make people tick.

I have a contract with this company until august this year and after that im thinking of applying to Riot Games(League of Legends)

For a player support agent,to get my foot in the door so to say ph34r.png .

My goal afterwards would be to get involved in the creative process of the game.

Seeing that a game designer has to master more than one skills has motivated me,because this is actually a trait of mine.

I like dabbleing in more domains.

So creative wise i think i am preety standard so i should start learning some basic programming;i heard C++ is a preety good choice.

And for actually participating in some gaming projects indie or otherwise as a novice like me,send me somewhere please rolleyes.gif .

Thank you for reading my post;am eagerly waiting for your trust worthy opinions.

Advertisement

Welcome to Gamedev :)

First of all I must inform you that the fastest way to begin is to head over to Tom Sloper's website and read the materials. You will also notice in the top right of the Game Design Forum a number of links also to read. There are also a number of threads adressing game design on this site which you can search for including a very recent Understanding Game design thread created by some newcomers as well which contains advice.

After you have completed the obligatory 17.582 years of reading material just linked, you will then have a much easier time in bringing to us thoughtful, creative and above all original questions for all of us to sink our teeth into...or at least this is my fondest wish.

But mostly have fun and learn and teach.

Seeing that a game designer has to master more than one skills has motivated me,because this is actually a trait of mine.
I like dabbleing in more domains.
So creative wise i think i am preety standard so i should start learning some basic programming;i heard C++ is a preety good choice.

The way I read your post, you aren't actually asking about game design. You're asking about learning some basic programming. So I'm moving this to For Beginners.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yes thank you mr Sloper.

Any advice about learning some c++ if you are not a math enthusiast?.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement