List of Video Game Design Exercises?

Started by
2 comments, last by Cdore 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi. Is there like a list somewhere of compiled exercises for those who want to practice game design or mainly to review them? Something like "Make so and so game with so and so mechanic." I would appreciate it. I can never find this kind of article anywhere. And I learn better with a teacher-like assignment procedure.

Advertisement

Challenges for Game Designers by Brenda Brathwaite and Ian Schreiber is a great book on game design, with some interesting exercises. I *think* it's based on a course run by the authors. There's a preview on amazon, so you can see if its the kind of thing you're looking for.

Just finished work on Antigen for iPhone and iPod Touch - www.richardjdare.com

Listen to the radio, each song that comes on do your best to build a game before the song is done. Classical music gives you more time and often builds better games but any genre will work. If you have lots of time with the radio like I do (driving) then you'll find this exercise good for building a collection of ideas. Hope it helps.

@richar: Thank you, richard. I just bought the book on amazon.

@Mratt: I do that a lot while I'm walking around. It's a common thing of mines, though it was tied more to imagination back when I was kid, As I got older, it just became a way for me to immerse myself in some little dream while each little thing passed by me. Sometimes, end up drawing it when I get home or to some place where I can sit down. Music works even better to me cause I tend to use it to help me paint some sort of scenario or mechanic in my head. So I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement