Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aggie

Question of texture manipulation(2)

Hi all, just a couple of questions regarding textures. 1. How do I go about modifying an existing texture used for a model and having the change visible in the scene? I know how to draw directly to the backbuffer or another surface, but how do I get that into/onto a texture? 2. How do I manipulate or cycle the palette for a texture? Thanks in advance Aggie Edited by - aggie on October 19, 2001 3:54:57 PM

There is an intermediate example called ProceduralTexture that shows how to lock and draw on a texture. This is only included with the full version not the trial.

Also in PR4, textures with a palette are not currently working. Not all cards support them anyways so it''s not a good idea to rely on them for palette animation.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

Doh ok well I''m using the trial version. Modifing a texture is the most important point for me right now, can anyone give me any hints? I notice there used to be a function called wgetblocksurface...

Aggie

Here's an example of some locking code I have in one of my programs:

D3DLOCKED_RECT d3dlr;
HRESULT ddrval;

if(TextureNumber == -1) return;

if(!Locked) {
ddrval = PR_Globals.PR_Textures[TextureNumber].image->LockRect(0, & d3dlr, 0, 0);
if(ddrval != D3D_OK) return;

Locked = true;
LockedBits = (unsigned char *)d3dlr.pBits;
LockedPitch = d3dlr.Pitch;
}

Keep in mind this is from a cpp program. For c you'd need to use:
PR_Globals.PR_Textures[TextureNumber].image->lpVtbl->LockRect

Gary

Edited by - Gary on October 20, 2001 5:49:59 AM

Thanks for your reply Gary.

That clears up how I can access the texture, but I cant draw to the texture in the same manner as I draw to a surface with PR..or can I? IE:

bits[x + pitch * y] = RGB16(0,255,255);

Aggie

I don''t know how to do this directly in PR, but you should also know the pixelformat to ensure it''s RGB/BGR, 555 or 565 or whatever to select the appropriate macro to bang bits into a surface. Using D3D you can probably use GetLevelDesc() on the image member of PR_Textures[x] before you lock it, then (using the example from Gary) you can just loop thru LockedBits taking pitch into account either with the array semantics you wrote or just a (*LockedBits++) kind of thing.

Cheers,
Random