PC gaming: what kind of controller do you use?

Started by
33 comments, last by Cod 11 years ago

Keyboard and mouse for most games, and a joystick for anything that involves flying, i don't really play any games that would work better with a gamepad. (For driving i'd prefer a proper steering wheel and pedals over a gamepad anyway so i'll buy one of those if i ever start playing such games)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Advertisement

For me, it's the Logitech F710 that gets the job done. Since I actually prefer the DualShock layout, this gamepad is a great balance between that and the XBox 360 controller's layout. It's compatible with DInput and XInput.

I'm somebody who's moved from consoles into PC gaming. (I still play both, mind you.)

Classic Keyboard & Mouse combo, always !

There is just the bad port of Dark Souls where I may use a gamepad.

Both

I use a keyboard/mouse for almost all games, but use a 360 game-pad for the few that are better on it (anything where absolute-inputs from a joystick is better than digital keys or relative-mouse inputs, like a car or plane).

In battlefield I actually switch between them while playing -- KB/Mouse for soldiers/tanks/helicopters, and the game-pad for jets.

Same. For example, when playing GTA (or Sleeping Dogs) I'll use an xbox controller for driving, running, but switch to kbm for shooting.

I will never use a controller for an FPS.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Most of the time I use keyboard/mouse, but I do have a USB N64 controller as well.

The reason I want to find this out is less about how to do it for certain controller brands, since almost every gamepad reports the same information (from what I've seen anyway) but how to design the control scheme within the game to be as compatible as possible from the get go.

Good luck. One thing I noticed about PlayStation-like controllers (quite common on PC) is that the arrangement of the face buttons (the rhombus) is completely arbitrary, seems to change depending on the controller. The best you can do is map actions from buttons 0 to 3 and then hope the player remembers to enter the controls menu to remap the buttons :/

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Good luck. One thing I noticed about PlayStation-like controllers (quite common on PC) is that the arrangement of the face buttons (the rhombus) is completely arbitrary, seems to change depending on the controller. The best you can do is map actions from buttons 0 to 3 and then hope the player remembers to enter the controls menu to remap the buttons :/

I guess mostly I was hoping to see if, despite the Xbox controller I had, if the most common PC controllers being used had like... only eight total buttons and triggers that could be accessed as opposed to my 12ish. Or if joysticks weren't necessarily universal on gamepads. In retrospect this didn't make much sense since one could imagine gamepad manufacturers would be most successful if they could replicate console varieties of gamepads.

So that may sound stupid, but I was only interested in the amount of buttons.

I'll probably have it default mapped to my Xbox controller, or otherwise make it so every time a joystick is plugged in it asks for the player to either enter all the inputs for each action (like "Waggle the joystick for walking..." "Press the button for jump...") and have it save the profile, that way the next time it loads up they can just load up the joystick profile for that device.

To be completely honest, all the times I've tried to use JoyToKey, I still can't figure out the damn button layout for my own controller.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

I pretty much entirely use the Keyboard and mouse unless I am playing on megadrive or ps1 emulators. I use the Xbox360 controller on FreeBSD because it is pretty much the only common one that works ;)

Whilst I am at it, would anyone be interested in the following idea being implemented? Basically a virtual input device for iOS or Android that connects to a PC (via tcp or udp) and then allows the player to use the (often superior) controller plugged into the PC on their tablet.
I am in two minds whether it is worth the effort if it would only be useful for a few people.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

I can’t vote because what we use are not mutually exclusive of each other.

I use the best tool for the job, period.

For FPS games that means mouse-and-keyboard.

For ZSNES I use this: snes-gamepad-buffalo-usb,I-R-240435-13.j

I have 2 so that my friend(s) can play too.

I also have a PC Xbox 360 controller but it sees little action since I don’t play any games where that would be the best choice.

Your concern should be more on the ability to set the keys/configure things.

I bought Resident Evil 6 for PlayStation 3 5 months ago (or so). It doesn’t allow changing the keys, thus I cannot invert the Y axis, thus I played it for a total of 10 minutes and never touched it again.

If you can configure the keys, you have solved all potential problems. Simple. Doesn’t matter whether people use mouse/keyboard or a controller.

L. Spiro

PS: Something feels different about you today, Hodgman. Did you change your hair style or something? Is that a new cologne?

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Whilst I am at it, would anyone be interested in the following idea being implemented? Basically a virtual input device for iOS or Android that connects to a PC (via tcp or udp) and then allows the player to use the (often superior) controller plugged into the PC on their tablet.
I am in two minds whether it is worth the effort if it would only be useful for a few people.

I saw this implemented once, while working with Unity. One of the addons someone had was for basically that exact idea. You just install the input manager into your game, and then people could get (for free on Android, idk on iOS) an app that would connect your computer and the phone over a wireless connection. It was pretty cool. You would basically design the layout within the input manager for the game, and it would send the layout to the phone, and then it would send touch data back to the game and treat it like gamepad input. I think it even had gyroscope implementation, and they showed that off for a tilting game and a racing game demo.

It did suck, though, because Unity has very limited options in the free version, especially concerning custom input (which is why I ultimately turned away from it). But I actually considered doing this for my game or trying to start like an open source solution to this for people working outside Unity because, if done right, you could just have people download a custom controller for your game. It might be more of a novelty than anything, but imagine showing a game off at a con that way.

I can’t vote because what we use are not mutually exclusive of each other.

I use the best tool for the job, period.

Your concern should be more on the ability to set the keys/configure things.

I bought Resident Evil 6 for PlayStation 3 5 months ago (or so). It doesn’t allow changing the keys, thus I cannot invert the Y axis, thus I played it for a total of 10 minutes and never touched it again.

If you can configure the keys, you have solved all potential problems. Simple. Doesn’t matter whether people use mouse/keyboard or a controller.

I mostly wanted to see what people were more likely to own more than anything so I could have an idea of the minimum amount of buttons a person would have on their gamepad, or if they even had one. That way I don't have a large portion of my audience who have, say, that USB SNES controller which doesn't even have analog sticks and only has a total of 8 buttons while I planned for an amount of controls that could only possibly be used on an XBOX/PS3 controller. But, since it seems like most modern gamepads DO have that many buttons, I can be a little more liberal with stuff like that. But I plan for there to definitely be fully customizable layouts so your Y-axis problem won't happen here.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement