Sign in to follow this  
AniMerrill

PC gaming: what kind of controller do you use?

Anri    971

It depends on the game.  If its a FPS or RTS then it has to be a keyboard'n'mouse setup.  Anything that is usually found on a console then I whip out my 360 controller.

Khatharr    8812

I have a really crappy sort of PS style controller that's yet another member in a long line of extremely crappy devices that look good in the box and then 5 minutes later you find out the direction hat is a plus drawn on a giant plastic brick such that indicating a cardinal direction is not-really-a-feature-here, and the analog sticks are actually just Satan's erect nipples, still attached and just as functional.

The one I have now is about done, and I'm not going to buy these things any more. Next time I get a game that would go with with a controller I'm going to get a PS2 controller and a USB adapter and finally have a decent piece of hardware to game with.

Oh, and as far as controller compatibility, do the best you can with it, but please make it fully customizable. Trying to make sense of the APIs for handling anything but a 360 controller is insane. (You can get it to work for a controller you have on hand to test, but how the hell are you supposed to get the data layout for every controller in the world?)

Edited by Khatharr

AniMerrill    227

You can get it to work for a controller you have on hand to test, but how the hell are you supposed to get the data layout for every controller in the world?

My plan is less to have the game predict one of thousands of controller layouts and moreso just make sure it will allow the player to easily configure the game's controls to their favorite device. Like you plug it in, and it will let you assign each game function one by one in rapid succession, and then you can save the profile and load it up next time you plug in that device.

boolean    1829
With Steam Big Picture being pretty easy to get running, I've been contemplating getting a good controller for the TV. I was watching the Giant Bomb guys play through Miasmata last night and it seems like a great fit for the TV, especially as it will allow a second person to watch. The game moves slow enough I won't mind the lack of mouse and keyboard. I also picked up "They bleed pixels" last night (DAMN YOU STEAM SALES) which seems to just demand a controller.

While I use mouse and keyboard for all my games on the PC, with all the good platformers and arcady games coming out on Steam it seems like getting a controller is more and more worthwhile. It seems like more people have their PC connected to their TV these days, but I might just be bias. Anyone have any idea on where data on this would be? I wonder if Steam tracks it.

AniMerrill    227

With Steam Big Picture being pretty easy to get running, I've been contemplating getting a good controller for the TV. I was watching the Giant Bomb guys play through Miasmata last night and it seems like a great fit for the TV, especially as it will allow a second person to watch. The game moves slow enough I won't mind the lack of mouse and keyboard. I also picked up "They bleed pixels" last night (DAMN YOU STEAM SALES) which seems to just demand a controller.

While I use mouse and keyboard for all my games on the PC, with all the good platformers and arcady games coming out on Steam it seems like getting a controller is more and more worthwhile. It seems like more people have their PC connected to their TV these days, but I might just be bias. Anyone have any idea on where data on this would be? I wonder if Steam tracks it.

Since the likelihood of getting a license to produce for a console is pretty slim, this is pretty much my biggest hope and also one of the reasons I'm trying to pay attention to what people have for PC gaming. Also can't wait to see what Steam Box can offer for my game, that should be pretty sweet.

blueshogun96    2264

I use my 360 gamepad when possible, but still use my keyboard and mouse when I feel it's most suitable.

One game that I absolutely cannot play without both is Sinistar: Unleashed.  Using the keyboard/mouse to steer the ship is painfully uncomfortable.  Plugged in a USB controller or the 360 gamepad and that problem is eliminated.  Still, the controller isn't enough.  In order to use your inventory, you'll need to use the keyboard.  Would have been nice to have the option to toggle though inventory using the POV and selecting it with one of the few unused buttons.  Oh well, that game was released in '99 anyway.  How I miss the good old days of PC gaming...

Cod    167

Keyboard and mouse for strategy (including RTS) and multiplayer FPS games

X360 controller for everything else