Any point Learning XNA?

Started by
11 comments, last by Ashton Lloyd 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello, I was just about to start some tutorials for C# XNA as i would eventually like to make a SHMUP game, when I read that XNA will no longer be supported. Is there any point me learning it C# and XNA now? i am a complete programming beginner but would like to eventually code my own games. thanks.

Advertisement

It is true that they are cutting support soon for XNA. However, monogame is an alternative! and it's multiplatform! It's still in C# as well. I'm using monogame currently to relearn some XNA now and it's great.

Here's the better question. "Should I use an API that has been battle-tested, proven to create successful if not $1 million games, and can even be run on my PC AND 360?"

If the answer to any of those questions is "yes", then use it and don't worry about things that don't get in the way of your game developing.

Note: This is a general answer to any beginner in your position that is learning how to make games, right now.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Many people have been asking this exact question here on gamedev, and it's normally beginning developers. Here's what I am going to say:

XNA is not gone. It's a great framework that has very few bugs and can still be very useful. Companies (and people) "drop support" of API's, programming languages, and projects all the time. What it really means is: "We're developing new API's right now, and are currently not working on XNA". XNA still works for Windows, you can still download it, and it's still a great framework. They're just working on other API's (Probably HTML / JavaScript in Windows Eight).

Go for it. XNA is great, however I recommend another API which is still under development: MonoGame!

Have fun! Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Once you learn the basics, languages and APIs like XNA become interchangeable. Learn with whatever you like.

Once you learn the basics, languages and APIs like XNA become interchangeable. Learn with whatever you like.

This. If the whole "XNA is no longer supported" thing really bothers you, I would start with XNA, but design your game architecture such that you can switch to a different library without much trouble if you decide to move away from XNA and go with something like SharpDX.

You can use XNA to quickly get into game making, shader programming, model usage and other cool stuff and have good tools to help you. Knowing XNA will help you later if you decide to pick another API, or go to another language, because you will have to write some of those tools you saw in XNA yourself.

i think XNA is the best start if you want to learn to make video games. it's very simple and makes you understand the structure of game programs.

then you can use that knowledge to move on to your favorite language/library.

this book is very helpful: (for 3D)

http://www.packtpub.com/xna-4-3d-game-development-example-beginners-guide/

good luck!

EDIT: forget the link. have the name ^^

XNA 4 3D Game Development by Example: Beginner's Guide

this book is very helpful: (for 3D)

http://www.packtpub.com/xna-4-3d-game-development-example-beginners-guide/

Just to point out, I think hikarihe meant for 2D, as the book listed above does not delve into 3D development. It is however an excellent book!

Got to agree with everyone else here. XNA is great and not dead. You can still develop games with it, and i think it's a great place to learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement