Code Review Comments

Started by
16 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 11 years, 1 month ago

Hmm. Now I'm confused too. Did this behaviour change in C++11?

Seems so: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4178175/what-are-aggregates-and-pods-and-how-why-are-they-special/7189821#7189821

Edit: or well I'm not sure actually :P, any experts on this?

Advertisement

WTF? It just ate the important parts of my post... editing to try and add it back in...

What I tried to write:

Not an expert, but I was just writing a response about this...

Consider the following:

#include <type_traits>
#include <iostream>

struct Foo {
  Foo() : x(0), y(0) {}
  int x;
  int y;
};

struct Bar {
  Bar() = default;
  int x;
  int y;
};

int main()
{
    if (std::is_pod<Foo>::value) std::cout << "Foo is a POD" << std::endl;
    else                         std::cout << "Foo is *not* a POD" << std::endl;

if (std::is_pod<Bar>::value) std::cout << "Bar is a POD" << std::endl;
    else                         std::cout << "Bar is *not* a POD" << std::endl;
}

This outputs:

Foo is *not* a POD
Bar is a POD

Let's look at what's going on...

Section 12.1, paragraph 5
A default constructor for a class X is a constructor of class X that can be called without an argument. If
there is no user-declared constructor for class X, a constructor having no parameters is implicitly declared
as defaulted (8.4). An implicitly-declared default constructor is an inline public member of its class.

A default constructor is trivial if it is neither user-provided nor deleted and ...

(note the last line, so Foo's constructor is not trivial because it is user-provided)

So let's look at what a POD is:

Section 9, paragraph 10
A POD struct is a class that is both a trivial class and a standard-layout class, and has no non-static
data members of type non-POD struct, non-POD union (or array of such types).

So now we ask, is Foo a trivial class?

Section 9, paragraph 6
A trivial class is a class that has a trivial default constructor (12.1) and is trivially copyable.

Nope, looks like Foo is not a trivial class, because it does not have a trivial default constructor, therefore it cannot be a POD.

Note that this is for C++11. I'd have to read through C++03 more thoroughly to be able to comment on C++03.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
The change in C++11 is to unions.

From the wikipedia page: "Unions can now contain objects that have a non-trivial constructor." and "If so, the implicit default constructor of the union is deleted, forcing a manual definition."

So, its ok to have non-POD classes in unions now.
Though, it does say you have to add a default constructor to the union if you do... so still something unexplained going on with the union...

There was certainly a change to the definition of PODs

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Though, it does say you have to add a default constructor to the union if you do... so still something unexplained going on with the union...

Ok, this was bugging me, but I think it makes sense.

You can have as many user-defined constructors as you like, but you have to have a default constructor, so that the compiler can construct an instance when it needs to.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Well, my point was that the reason that swiftcoders code compiled wasn't because the struct was POD (it wasn't), but because unions now allow non-POD members.

Well, my point was that the reason that swiftcoders code compiled wasn't because the struct was POD (it wasn't), but because unions now allow non-POD members.

Ah, that makes sense now. I didn't realize it was directed at his post.

Wow. Maybe you should change your codebase over to D. Because if 3 C++ experts (or advanced users) are all confused about what is standard, then debug hell must have more than 9 circles.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement