Help with Unity 3D grass

Started by
1 comment, last by Kylotan 11 years, 1 month ago

HI.

Im starting out unity 3d and I have some questions about textures and models .

1. I tried downloading models for some flowers. It had this .dds file and in one file i could see bits and pieces of the flower (leaves ,stem all seperate and not as a whole plant ) . How do I use this exactly to create the plant ?

2. To draw grass , are png files enough or should i look for some 3dsmax file or something ?

3.I want to draw like some good looking grass with a waving animation so how to do this animation ? Will it be one model file or is it like playing two model files in sequence to give animation ?

Also any links to usable grass/ tree models will be helpful . I know the sites to look for them but I couldnt use anything I found so anything which you know works on unity would be helpful for me to learn the file format and usage.

Advertisement

1) textures are often broken up in the texture file, the models texture coordiates should sort that out for you so importing the mesh to unity and applying the texture should work.

2) png files and simple shapes are enough for grass, if you want more complex shapes you should look at something like blender rather than 3dsmax (3dsmax is an awfully expensive piece of software and really overkill to make a grass model, while there are free educational versions you can't use those for non educational purposes)

Normally you'd want a single model file with either a static animation or a rig (a rigged model can be modified using the physics engine which is far more awesome(for large amounts of grass this might get quite expensive though))

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

You need to read the Terrain docs, and the terrain tutorial.

Docs first:http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Terrains.html

Then the tutorial: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Terrain_tutorial

All this is covered there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement