What to write with now?

Started by
19 comments, last by Corvwyn 11 years, 1 month ago

So since xna is more or less dead now, what is the best next programming language to write with? I mean I'd love to write a game for the xbox but you can't now :/ Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Advertisement

This seems to come up a lot lately, and the sentiment is false. You can still download it right here.

Just because they are done updating it does not mean you can't use it. XNA is still a great framework for making Windows games and you CAN still write games for the Xbox.

Further, MonoGame exists and is more or less a cross platform port of XNA.

My Games -- My Music 

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

To expand on Jutaris' comments, XNA is not DEAD. It's just not being developed anymore.

However, everything that XNA has done in the past (PC/Xbox/Windows Phone 7 games), you can STILL DO. You can still get XNA, you can still write games with it, you can still release those games on any of the ever-supported platforms.

All "XNA is dead" really means, as it's stated is that Microsoft is no longer planning new revisions of it, so we're stuck with XNA 4.0 unless they change their minds.

Hey thanks for the replies. This is good to hear because I love working with C#, just codes friendlier than C++ in my opinion. Plus I HATE pointers. Anyway even though I can still write with it I cant submit anything to the xbox indie market, so I can develop but not potentially sell. Anything on that?

You need to sign up for a creator's club account to be able to submit to Xbox Live Indie Games. It's $99/year, but it's what allows you to develop and release on the Xbox.

People are still releasing XBLIGs, so it's definitely not disabled :)

It's Progress, go back to 2007 the rave was Managed DirectX using C# and DirectX 9, MS then formalized that with XNA making it easier to write managed DirectX code, we're now in the space age of Windows 8, Metro UI, Tablets etc.. and MS will come up with some new way to use Managed code with DirectX 11, probably get announced after XBOX 720 has been finalized. Although it is strange that they would announce dropping support before announcing the new methodology, but of Course what we're all discussing is leaked info by some DIrectX MVP's and not official MS Headlines.

Firstly, yeah, you still can. I haven't seen anything, nor does the creators club site in any way indicate that XBLIG submissions are no longer being accepted. If you have a link showing something to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

Now, if you're in an unsupported region, don't have the cash for a membership, or are simply wary of the profitability of the XBLIG portal, well, those are all valid concerns.

Don't let them stop you from using XNA though. There's are tons of other selling opportunities both on Windows or on other platforms (via MonoGame or Xamarin for iOS and/or Android). Sites like The Humble Store, Desura, Gamers Gate... You can sell it for yourself.

But before you think about all that stuff, start making your game :)

My Games -- My Music 

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

But before you think about all that stuff, start making your game

lol fair enough. :p Just don't want to write a game then have to recode the entire thing in a new language.

And I tried for 4 months now to join the creators club but it just sites there loading for eternity. I can't sign up :/

If you are currently using C# and XNA, and comfortable, then stick with it. I wouldn't worry until its no longer used for the XBox.

Push comes to shove, for making money from your games, you could switch to Java and Android. C# and Java are very similar and if you are at the point where you are making money from your games then learning the Android side shouldn't be a problem.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Hey thanks for the replies. This is good to hear because I love working with C#, just codes friendlier than C++ in my opinion. Plus I HATE pointers. Anyway even though I can still write with it I cant submit anything to the xbox indie market, so I can develop but not potentially sell. Anything on that?

You realise that they have probably scheduled to announce there next console right? And that if they are allowing development for it, it will probably take the approach that WP8 has taken, C++/CLI combined with D3D. So in effect they already have announce the new way of doing this. And this really shouldn't surprise you, as with X360 the next version will most likely run a stripped down version of Windows in the background as OS. And seeing that they are moving to one kernel rules all devices it is very likely that the next version is Windows 8 based.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement