Help creating the ground for a 2D game

Started by
5 comments, last by AlstonA 11 years, 1 month ago

So, 'm having a bit of trouble working on creating the ground texture for a game. The problem is how I am exactly doing it doesn't look right. I want to make hills as well. The closest thing I can think of would have to be Muramasa: The demon Blade, Rayman, orgins, and Dust: An Elysian tail.

Can you assist me with creating this? What i am looking for exactly would be how to create the ground assets in various forms and them make them seamless so they can connect with ease.

dustanelysiantailxbox36.jpg

See how the ground begins to aim down?

muramasathedemonblade20.jpg

Here is another where the design looks as if the character can run up a hillside.

raymanorigins.jpg

Something pulled from a post from noogy(Creator of dust an elysian tail)

samplesheet.jpg

Student at Davenport University.

Major : Game and Simulation programming

Advertisement

I'm not sure I'm getting what you're looking for. Do you want a graphics effect where the ground looks like it's sloping with terrain detail images that can be freely mixed in? If so, what is the problem you're having? "It doesn't look right" isn't a very specific description and so we can't give you very specific tips.

If I am right about what you're asking, I'd say that it looks to me like a perspective trick. The tile sheet looks flat with the red gridlines around it, but with a sloping line behind it (like in the first picture) it gives a slope impression. Orienting other images (like animals) against the normal suggested by the sloped surface rather than the lines of the screen itself further enhances the impression.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

In the Rayman and Dust images, those are just ground tiles that have been slanted at an angle to match the incline. The breaks are covered with foreground and background objects in both examples.

The Dust image has some opacity to help with the blending of these tiles.

In the Muramasa image, the backgrounds are all hand painted from what I gathered from my 2 minutes of

In the Muramasa, its seems that the ground textures/sprites are larger, intentionally placed assets, meaning that there is a lot of pre-planning involved.

Rayman seems to use a similar method for ground tiling as Dust, but it has much more detail.

So yeah, if you're looking to create inclines in your game, it really all depends on the style of your game. Is there a sense of depth to your level like in the examples above?

I don't know if there is much more advice I can give. If you're asking for actual help as in someone to create these sprites for you, then you need to go to the classifieds section for that.

Hope I was some help.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

Hey, sorry for the late reply but thanks for such a quick response. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit "noobish," but could you provide something visual? I'm still a bit confused. Also, link will help me as well.

~Thanks again!

I'm not sure I'm getting what you're looking for. Do you want a graphics effect where the ground looks like it's sloping with terrain detail images that can be freely mixed in? If so, what is the problem you're having? "It doesn't look right" isn't a very specific description and so we can't give you very specific tips.

If I am right about what you're asking, I'd say that it looks to me like a perspective trick. The tile sheet looks flat with the red gridlines around it, but with a sloping line behind it (like in the first picture) it gives a slope impression. Orienting other images (like animals) against the normal suggested by the sloped surface rather than the lines of the screen itself further enhances the impression.

Can you explain the sloping line more?

Here is a

#t=0m37s">video I made deconstructing the art assets of Aquaria -- it's not my game but might help you understand how modern 2D levels are constructed.

Here is a

#t=0m37s">video I made deconstructing the art assets of Aquaria -- it's not my game but might help you understand how modern 2D levels are constructed.

Thanks david, I love your teams game! It looks amazing. I've been watching the progress for about a year now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement