• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dacrisxp

D3D X file -> buffer depth?

This topic is 6118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm having a major problem. I can't figure out why the following happens: --Screenshot of the visual problem: http://mm2.dacris.com/vehicle.jpg 1. I load a mesh from a file. 2. I set matrices to "standard" values, similar to those in the Direct3D samples. 3. I set lights, materials, and all else. 4. I render the mesh. Problem when testing the program: The mesh loads correctly, the materials and lights show up correctly. However, for some bizarrely odd reason, the car (the mesh that I loaded) is "flattened out" in the sense that all faces are shown at pretty much the same depth. I have set the auto stencil & depth buffer to enabled and bit depth 16. What am I doing wrong? Here's the code: { char file[260]; sprintf(file, "%s\\Vehicles\\Geometry\\%s.x", g_TempDir, player.vehicle.name); Car *mesh; mesh = new Car(); mesh->LoadMesh(file); // Setup render state dx8.pd3dDevice->Clear ( 0 , NULL , D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER , D3DCOLOR_ARGB ( 0, 0 , 0 , 0 ) , 1.0f, 0 ) ; // a workaround I tried to implement dx8.pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_DITHERENABLE, TRUE ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR ); // Setup the light D3DLIGHT8 light; light.Type = D3DLIGHT_DIRECTIONAL; light.Diffuse.r = light.Diffuse.g = light.Diffuse.b = 1.0f; light.Specular.r = light.Specular.g = light.Specular.b = 0.0f; light.Ambient.r = light.Ambient.g = light.Ambient.b = 0.3f; light.Position = D3DXVECTOR3( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f ); D3DXVec3Normalize( (D3DXVECTOR3*)&light.Direction, &D3DXVECTOR3( 0.3f, -1.0f, 1.0f ) ); light.Attenuation0 = light.Attenuation1 = light.Attenuation2 = 0.0f; light.Range = sqrtf(FLT_MAX); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetLight(0, &light ); dx8.pd3dDevice->LightEnable(0, TRUE ); FLOAT fAspect = 1.0; D3DXMATRIX matProj; D3DXMATRIX matWorld; D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH( &matProj, D3DX_PI/4, fAspect, 1.0, 500); D3DXMatrixTranslation( &matWorld, 0, 0, 0); D3DXMATRIX matTemp; D3DXMatrixRotationY(&matTemp, (D3DX_PI/16)*g_CarPos); g_CarPos--; if(g_CarPos == -33) g_CarPos = 0; D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matTemp, &matWorld); D3DXMATRIX matView; D3DXMatrixLookAtLH( &matView, &D3DXVECTOR3( 0, 2,-10), &D3DXVECTOR3( 0, 0, 0 ), &D3DXVECTOR3( 0, 1, 0 ) ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_VIEW, &matView ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_PROJECTION, &matProj ); mesh->Render(); mesh->UnloadMesh(); } Thanks in advance. Edited by - dacrisxp on October 19, 2001 4:30:41 PM

Advertisement
You''re not starting with an identity matrix to with when calculating the matrices:

D3DXMATRIX matProj;
D3DXMATRIX matWorld;
D3DXMATRIX matTemp;

D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH( &matProj, D3DX_PI/4, fAspect, 1.0f,
500.0f);

// Set an identity to start with
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matWorld);

// use time based rotation
// Always rotate first, then translate
D3DXMatrixRotationY(&matTemp, (float)timeGetTime() / 1000.0f);
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matWorld, &matTemp);

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTemp, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matWorld, &matTemp);

Always try to specify float values by using a trailing decimal point and f data type specifier (0.0f for example). Also, your far clipping range should be set higher - some video cards work directly off this number and act wierd if the number is not high enough (regardless if z-buffering is enabled or not).

Also, use the value D3DZB_TRUE instead of TRUE in z-buffer enabling render state (just to be politically correct).

Jim Adams
Author - "Programming Role-Playing Games With DirectX 8.0"

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX 8

Thanks.

It turned out to be that I wasn''t clearing the render target with the Clear function. However, I''ll try your suggestions as well.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!