Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3D X file -> buffer depth?

This topic is 5901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm having a major problem. I can't figure out why the following happens: --Screenshot of the visual problem: http://mm2.dacris.com/vehicle.jpg 1. I load a mesh from a file. 2. I set matrices to "standard" values, similar to those in the Direct3D samples. 3. I set lights, materials, and all else. 4. I render the mesh. Problem when testing the program: The mesh loads correctly, the materials and lights show up correctly. However, for some bizarrely odd reason, the car (the mesh that I loaded) is "flattened out" in the sense that all faces are shown at pretty much the same depth. I have set the auto stencil & depth buffer to enabled and bit depth 16. What am I doing wrong? Here's the code: { char file[260]; sprintf(file, "%s\\Vehicles\\Geometry\\%s.x", g_TempDir, player.vehicle.name); Car *mesh; mesh = new Car(); mesh->LoadMesh(file); // Setup render state dx8.pd3dDevice->Clear ( 0 , NULL , D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER , D3DCOLOR_ARGB ( 0, 0 , 0 , 0 ) , 1.0f, 0 ) ; // a workaround I tried to implement dx8.pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_DITHERENABLE, TRUE ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR ); // Setup the light D3DLIGHT8 light; light.Type = D3DLIGHT_DIRECTIONAL; light.Diffuse.r = light.Diffuse.g = light.Diffuse.b = 1.0f; light.Specular.r = light.Specular.g = light.Specular.b = 0.0f; light.Ambient.r = light.Ambient.g = light.Ambient.b = 0.3f; light.Position = D3DXVECTOR3( 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f ); D3DXVec3Normalize( (D3DXVECTOR3*)&light.Direction, &D3DXVECTOR3( 0.3f, -1.0f, 1.0f ) ); light.Attenuation0 = light.Attenuation1 = light.Attenuation2 = 0.0f; light.Range = sqrtf(FLT_MAX); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetLight(0, &light ); dx8.pd3dDevice->LightEnable(0, TRUE ); FLOAT fAspect = 1.0; D3DXMATRIX matProj; D3DXMATRIX matWorld; D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH( &matProj, D3DX_PI/4, fAspect, 1.0, 500); D3DXMatrixTranslation( &matWorld, 0, 0, 0); D3DXMATRIX matTemp; D3DXMatrixRotationY(&matTemp, (D3DX_PI/16)*g_CarPos); g_CarPos--; if(g_CarPos == -33) g_CarPos = 0; D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matTemp, &matWorld); D3DXMATRIX matView; D3DXMatrixLookAtLH( &matView, &D3DXVECTOR3( 0, 2,-10), &D3DXVECTOR3( 0, 0, 0 ), &D3DXVECTOR3( 0, 1, 0 ) ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_VIEW, &matView ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld ); dx8.pd3dDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_PROJECTION, &matProj ); mesh->Render(); mesh->UnloadMesh(); } Thanks in advance. Edited by - dacrisxp on October 19, 2001 4:30:41 PM

You''re not starting with an identity matrix to with when calculating the matrices:

D3DXMATRIX matProj;
D3DXMATRIX matWorld;
D3DXMATRIX matTemp;

D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH( &matProj, D3DX_PI/4, fAspect, 1.0f,
500.0f);

// Set an identity to start with
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matWorld);

// use time based rotation
// Always rotate first, then translate
D3DXMatrixRotationY(&matTemp, (float)timeGetTime() / 1000.0f);
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matWorld, &matTemp);

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTemp, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matWorld, &matTemp);

Always try to specify float values by using a trailing decimal point and f data type specifier (0.0f for example). Also, your far clipping range should be set higher - some video cards work directly off this number and act wierd if the number is not high enough (regardless if z-buffering is enabled or not).

Also, use the value D3DZB_TRUE instead of TRUE in z-buffer enabling render state (just to be politically correct).

Jim Adams
Author - "Programming Role-Playing Games With DirectX 8.0"

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX 8