Late night coding

Started by
3 comments, last by Overman 11 years, 1 month ago

While finishing off a uni assignment with 4 other programmers at around 3am in the night, you start to write some sloppy code. We didn't notice until we decided to review the code after submitting... For the record we already check if the program worked, which it did.

Here is an example of what we found a few days later (snippet taken from a FishController class)....

if (dt == 0.0f)
        {
            dt = 0.0f;
        }
        else
        {
            dt = diff.total_milliseconds();
            dt /= 100.0f;
        }

Advertisement
As a former Teaching assistant at my University, that code would probably rank as some of the better code I've seen from University students.

While a bit unfair to poke fun at student code, it's always good to have a good laugh at yourself once in a while.

When I was a student I'd always have a bunch of "well it worked yesterday" moments due to late night coding gaffs.

I look at a lot of my University Assignments when I submit them and I go "I love this code. Great looking code." Then a week later I'll look at it again and be like "what is this crap?"

Last semester I had to pull an all nighter to finish a programming assignment for my University. At about 4:30 in the morning I ran into one last bug that was keeping it from being finished. It was killing me. I finally said w/e I'ma go to bed. When I finally woke up I found and fixed the bug in literally one minute at looking at the code again and the mistake was a simple mistake that happens when you first start programming. Oh I love late night coding. lol.

May years ago when I was still young and handsome I'd literally stay up for days on end continually manufacturing and consuming iced tea and writing Ruby scripts for RPG Maker. Toward the end of the consciousness curve I'd generate some really really scary stuff that would actually run correctly. I'd end up passing out at the desk and after convalescence I'd look at the gibberish I'd written and not be able to understand how it worked.
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

My roommate pulled off somethings similar one night. After working all day on a project, we were both stuck at the same point and could not get any further. We gave up for the day and went out drinking with friends. That night, my roommate decided to do a little coding on the project. When he woke up the project was working and he couldn't remember what he had done to fix it. That was the only time when drunk coding ever paid off. All the other times I've seen it the results were less than spectacular.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement