Newby here

Started by
2 comments, last by BCullis 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello GameDevs, first post here.

As per a assignment in my class, I've been tasked with finding a website of focus akin to my own. I've also been tasked with sorta, feeling out the community and conversing wit y'all about such things like Game Development. Reading a few forum topics the community seemed nice enough and I thought I get on in here and see how it goes.

So first off I'm a Game Design Major. So far I've had education ranging from traditional/non-traditional 2d art, 3d modeling, texturing, lighting, level design, animation, udk, and unity. It's not only until this semester I've finally stepped into the world of programming in C# for Unity(Dunno why I saved programming for last, but thats what happend).

With my being new into C# I suppose a basic question to start with is...y'all got any pointers for someone new like me? Online coding tutorials? Unity VS UDK? Good Programming Books? Any other websites you'd recommend? etc.

Any help/advice is most appreciated.

Advertisement

Any other websites you'd recommend?

None, they're all heathens. This is the One True Website. Or something...

But in all fairness, StackExchange has a good gamedev section that's active. And if you're looking into Unity or UDK, they both have dedicated forums/stackexchange-clones.

Game Design Major

You've got quite a broad foundation! Is this your first programming experience then, or do you have any prior? Personally I think C# is a great first language if that's the case, but it has some restrictions as applied in Unity's scripting environment. (You can use normal C#, but if you want to make specific Monobehaviours, there's a list of do's and don'ts, like "no constructors in the monobehaviour" etc)

Good Programming Books?

I always suggest this guy right here.

Otherwise welcome! Come for the class assignment, stay because it's awesome :)

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

1. None, they're all heathens. This is the One True Website. Or something...But in all fairness, StackExchange has a good gamedev section that's active. And if you're looking into Unity or UDK, they both have dedicated forums/stackexchange-clones.
  2. You've got quite a broad foundation! Is this your first programming experience then, or do you have any prior? Personally I think C# is a great first language if that's the case, but it has some restrictions as applied in Unity's scripting environment. (You can use normal C#, but if you want to make specific Monobehaviours, there's a list of do's and don'ts, like "no constructors in the monobehaviour" etc)
  3. I always suggest this guy right here.

Good Programming Books?

Otherwise welcome! Come for the class assignment, stay because it's awesome smile.png

1. StackExchange? Hrm that don't think that came up in my google search, that's actually how i landed here. I mean a name with Gamedev.net and I being a Game Design Major, couldn't pass that up.
  2. Yeh the school I'm going to, Academy of Art University, does really get us a lot of sprea in our education and all. Enjoying everything so far, except painting, though I've never been good with colors. Like my weakness really.
    This is actually my first time programming, we're in week 4 currently and I'm still feeling like I'm reading some crazy alien language. My teacher assures me someday it'll *click* and I am excitedly waiting for that day.
    Some of my friends that have touched into programming also said C# is good to start with. Another did recommend JAVA, but kinda already signed up for the class so to late for that one, heh.
  3. Hrm, of all books what makes this book so special? I mean I was only looking at 'programming for dummies' so I'd say I needed to do more research.

Thanks for the welcome, I do hope the programming thing can work out. Being able to prototype my own ideas will be great step in my dev life.

Hrm, of all books what makes this book so special?

I think the author has a clear and understandable teaching style, and it's very visual. That all being said, learning styles are varied, so what works for me won't work for everyone. I suggest hitting a bookstore and flipping through a couple to see if the material makes sense.

Or you could just look around for some of the free resources out there.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement