So, i'm finishing highschool soon.

Started by
6 comments, last by VladTC 11 years, 1 month ago

In 1.5 years, to be exact, and i feel like i should start to look for a university (info: Country = Germany) and i'm not sure what i should go for exactly. Are "Game Design" schools worth it / are actually good ? Should i just go into Programming / Computer Science ? What i want to do is code. Code for games. I suppose i have a problem here as well: I'm not aware of the different options of coding (for example engines, etc), and whether they need specific training.

Thanks for your time and answers in advance!

Advertisement

If you want to be a programmer, get a Computer Science degree. Please read this forum's FAQs. Back out to the Breaking In forum's main page, and look at upper right for the link to the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Computer Science studies will surely help you get the programming skills. I don't know about universities in Germany, but in my country it is pretty rare to find one that can help you learn a bit about game engines. That's something you might end up having to learn on your own.

And you don't have to wait these 1,5 year too, I had a friend that started learning programming at the age of 12 and while still in high school, he was already coding simple games, like snake or pong just to get some experience. The sooner you learn the basics, the sooner you get to the good stuff :)

Good luck!

Thanks for your replies! So after University and learning programming there for example, i'd have to learn on coding for games specifically after that as well, or can i just go and get a job straight away ? Or learning at the job as you go?

Thanks for your replies! So after University and learning programming there for example, i'd have to learn on coding for games specifically after that as well, or can i just go and get a job straight away ? Or learning at the job as you go?

Please read this forum's FAQs.

Checked them, eighter i missed it or there's no answer to my specific question. No offense, but isn't it easier for both of us to respond with a "yes" or "no" instead of just "Please read this forum's FAQs." ?

Checked them, eighter i missed it or there's no answer to my specific question. No offense, but isn't it easier for both of us to respond with a "yes" or "no" instead of just "Please read this forum's FAQs." ?

No, it's not. It's better for information seekers to first actively seek before asking others to tell them answers.

Since you have read the FAQs (especially FAQ 27) you should know that it's rare to get a job right after graduation. After graduation you most likely need to spend time making a portfolio, and building up your basic knowledge into useful game creating skills, before you are an attractive enough candidate to hire.

No, it's not. It's better for information seekers to first actively seek before asking others to tell them answers.

Since you have read the FAQs (especially FAQ 27) you should know that it's rare to get a job right after graduation. After graduation you most likely need to spend time making a portfolio, and building up your basic knowledge into useful game creating skills, before you are an attractive enough candidate to hire.

sorry, how should have i known that "Barrier-Busting Tips -- Sloperama FAQ #27" had the info i needed ? People wont read absolutely everything when all they need is one answer, as much as you'd want that.

But yeah, thanks for the answer!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement