Where to Find Concept Artists

Started by
4 comments, last by Gle4se 11 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone know of any good places to recruit concept artists? Also, do you know what the pay could be for a small indie game would be as far as concept art goes?

Here's what my friends and I currently have:

-Game design (mostly finished)

-1 (maybe 2) music composer(s)

-1 sound effects guy

-Voice actors for the cast

-Our own in-house engine that should do everything we need it to do

-1 programmer (me)

-Director/writer

So, we're pretty stocked up in the audio area, it's just that we'll need visuals and gameplay to start producing sounds and music. More importantly, we need concept art so we can recruit 3D modelers (I have people in mind) to continue.

Advertisement

I think you could try the Classifieds here on GameDev for starters.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Since you are in a hurry you might try some more active recruiting than just posting on the classifieds. (Which is still a good idea.)

One good source to recruit from quickly is your local colleges and universities. It is very hit-and-miss, but you can find gems in the rough.

I have tried classifieds before on past projects, which I'll try again. Recruiting through colleagues is actually how I have the team I have now. Ironically, we can get 3D modelers, but they require some established concept art to continue.

I'm really concerned about is what the going rate for concept art is, and how that's determined.

You could try some freelance sites from your region. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Poland we have a portal where there are virtually hundreds of people for every job. When I needed some illustrations for a children book a while ago, all I needed is to post there and within 24 hours I had 40 replies with portfolios and prices.

Of course, you will have to browse through some mediocre material in the process, but you can sometimes find some really nice artists for a very low price or even for free (with a possibility of future profits) if your project is cool enough.

Im a concept artist, I work 2D(photoshop and corel painter) and 3d (zbrush, 3dsmax , blender, etc.) if u want send me an email : gle4se@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement