Unity 3D : How should I start ?

Started by
2 comments, last by Daaark 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi ,

Ive been learning Unity for a week now and Im in the process of importing models from external sources.

Im not at all good at 3D modelling software like blender..I was wondering , is it actually possible to learn Unity 3d standalone and not learn 3d softwares or is its knowledge essential ?

Advertisement

it is not essential to know asset creation software but recommended to a certain level.

As programmer, you will hardly ever make your own assets but let artists make them.

yet it is handy to know the basics as you do not want to look for an artist everytime if you want to change something trivial (for example triangulate a model or tweak a texture in photoshop).

If you use assets you find online, there are often errors in it (or not directly ready for use) and you want to fix them yourself.

Hey there,

The best course I can recommends is Lynda's trainning course (It's not free, though). You will have a very quickly graps of all Unity3D concepts.

I don't know any 3D modelling, still living pretty good as a unity developer. The platform is very good, the IDE is great (you can extend it your way). There are a lot of example on Unity3D website and other sites (included youtube) and the document is extensive. There is a free version for indie, so just download and exploring yourself.

It's will be a very great investment.

You are going to need data to feed into Unity at some point.

Watch the videos at BlenderCookie and you will learn how to make basic models, and then rig them up, animate then, and get them into Unity looking nice. It's nice to have basic skills to create stuff on your own, even if it only looks basic, so you don't have to rely on handouts that won't look exactly how you want them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement