Win32 Color in Console Mode

Started by
8 comments, last by randomDecay 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi. I want to use colors in my program for my text and fill the entire portion of the console with a specific color. Can any one help me out!!
Advertisement
To output red text:
HANDLE consoleHandle = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
SetConsoleTextAttribute(consoleHandle, FOREGROUND_RED);
To output blue or green text, replace FOREGROUND_RED with FOREGROUND_GREEN or FOREGROUND_BLUE. You can also combine colors by using something like FOREGROUND_RED | FOREGROUND_BLUE to get purple.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Cool, it works. How would I fill the whole window with a color though?
This is a good place to start. I suggest you use WriteConsoleAttribute.

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
awesome, thanks guys!
I think this should do it .. fills the window with red ...
    CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO consoleInfo;HANDLE consoleHandle = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);DWORD numCharactersWritten;COORD consoleCoords = {0, 0};SetConsoleTextAttribute(consoleHandle, BACKGROUND_RED);GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(consoleHandle, &consoleInfo);FillConsoleOutputCharacter(consoleHandle, ' ', consoleInfo.dwSize.X * consoleInfo.dwSize.Y,     consoleCoords, &numCharactersWritten);FillConsoleOutputAttribute(consoleHandle, consoleInfo.wAttributes, consoleInfo.dwSize.X * consoleInfo.dwSize.Y,     consoleCoords, &numCharactersWritten);    

Edited by - Martee on October 19, 2001 7:48:23 PM
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
One more quick q...

I have one line at the top of the window with a blue background and white text for the player''s score and name. How would I keep that there for the entire program, and have it stay at the top while the rest of the program keeps going below it.
Martee: Using WriteConsoleAttribute would let you set the color independently, without having to write to the cells.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Ahh, cool. Thanks for the tip. We learn something new every day
quote:Original post by Martee
Ahh, cool. Thanks for the tip. We learn something new every day

No point in getting out of bed otherwise

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement