• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stormynature

Tumbleweeds - A creative challenge with rewards

32 posts in this topic

Tumbleweed - a multi player storytelling game

1. Each player chooses a character from a preset list. These are the protagonists.

2. One player takes the role of director, controlling the character's interactions.

3. The remaining players suggest props using a scribblenauts style object dictionary. The director gets to choose which props are actually used.

4. The remaining players may also throw tumbleweed to indicate that they are bored or otherwise fed up with the current director. If enough tumbleweed is thrown, the directorship passes to a different player. The tumbleweed remains in the game and can be interacted with as any object.

5. Players have randomly assigned objectives to try and incorporate certain objects into the story. The story ends when one player acheives all objectives, or when the set is buried in tumbleweed.

6. Players score points for time spent as director, suggested props used, and objectives met.

Beginning :

"So many ... so many ... we are so many here, I can't remenber where I was before, It was like a dream, the wind ... , everything rolling around me ..., then, the impact, many impacts, no more rolling, no moving, so many branches everywhere, tangled branches, connected branches ... We ... I ... am so many now, I can feel that strange rock under me, with these strange sharp angles, and something else, it makes so many vibrations, I can feel it pulling on my .. our branches .. Ouch ! it took a part of me ! Oh no I can feel it pulling again ! But there is something else, that feeling like in my dream, the wind ... Ouch ! Did it take some part of me again ? No ... it was another impact, another ... us, connected to me, I ... we feel better now, may I find something before the Thing take another part of me ! Ouch ! Another impact ... more branches ... feel so good ...

the ... branches I ... we can disentangle them a little bit it is ... strange ... Oh no I lose it ! I lose it ! A part of me ! I ... we disentangled too much ! But ... the Thing ... it makes no vibrations anymore, I can feel it next to us, not moving on the floor ... all the part of me I lost, they rolled over it ... but ... it begin to move a little bit again and ... other vibrations coming, other ... Things ... no ! ... we ... I ... WILL ... NOT... LET THEM TAKING PARTS OF ME AGAIN !"

Gameplay:

Kind of strategy/arcade game, you begin in the same situation as in the article : many tumbleweeds on a house, people trying to remove them. The direction of the wind change ("as a function of the time", no idea how to say that correctly in english), sometimes new tumbleweeds carried by the wind arrive, you can see on your screen the others houses of the little town (btw what's the difference between town and city ?), when a new tumbleweed arrive on the first house it is caught by the other tumbleweeds, but when it arrive on an house with nothing on it it stay a little bit before being carried away by the wind, you can "cut" some part of the mass of tumbleweeds to let it escape with the wind, either to roll on people to prevent them from pulling tumbleweeds away, or to "colonise" another house, or both at one time, you can also try to knock down trucks going out of the city filled with tumbleweeds that people removed.

The goal is to colonise every house or a particular one according to the mission.

When you have enough tumbleweeds on one house you can have ameliorations (the collective mind becomes more intelligent and find new things), such has ability to launch tumbleweeds instead of juste letting them being carried by the wind, to use the soil of gardens to grow etc ...

Many special techniques can be used : for example if you launch a special "western" tumbleweed beetween two people they will make a western duel and people around will look at them, losing their time biggrin.png

Title:

Aliens and Tumbleweeds

Scenario:

You're on the outskirts of a mid West town that has been overrun by aliens installing technology to create their base. The town has been set up like a maze which you need to navigate to reach your objective for that level. Alien sentries are patrolling the town.

Using tumbleweeds that are rolling around you can:

1. Use them as cover to avoid detection

2. Hurl them at aliens to temporarily blind them or

3. Set them alight to either burn aliens or create a diversion.

Objective:

The final objective it to kill the alien leader and destroy their mother ship but along the way (levels) you would start by finding a weapon. Level two's objective could be to find a map. Other objectives could include obtaining matches, rescuing hostages, finding ammunition, upgrading weapons, sourcing whisky to make Molotov cocktails etc.

I'll just keep this idea simple. Could make for a fun app.

I have a question can we vote for several ideas ?

Upvote or downvote as you see fit for as many posts as you want - though my personal preference is not to downvote in a thread such as this and the only reason I include it is simply because it is an option that is there. 

Wow, i immediately went in the complete opposite direction than most.

For some reason, I assumed a tumbleweed was the object of control.  I think a mobile game with motion controls would do nicely.  Create an endless 3d scrolling map, where you try and travel as far away as you can from the center point.  

Implement things like, "wind-tunnels" and require the player to seek additional 'twigs' to keep your tumbleweed strong.  Alternatively, maybe the player uses their finger to 'blow' the tumbleweed in different directions to avoid obstacles or chase down powerups.  Wind can be a resource that slowly regens once used.  Otherwise, you have mild control via tilt.

Wow, i immediately went in the complete opposite direction than most.

For some reason, I assumed a tumbleweed was the object of control.

There is no wrong game idea for this particular competition...unless you don't have tumbleweeds somewhere in it :)

Tumbleweed Tumble.

You are a delivery driver for amco feed and you control a dilapidated old farm truck named bessy that goes a minimum speed of 50 mph at all times.

Your delivery route includes multiple cities across southwestern texas. You have to get to each stop as fast as you can while dodging tumbleweeds because your vehicle lacks a windshield.

Taking a tumbleweed to the face at those speeds blinds you and causes you to wreck your vehicle and lose all of your delivery. Your boss gives you a second chance, if you can make your next delivery you'll keep your job (continue playing) if you lose 2-3 deliveries the game is over, you're fired.

Gameplay revolves around steering to avoid flying tumbleweeds or find shortcuts, timing a turbo boost that has a cooldown, ramping off jumps to avoid walls of tumbleweeds.

Edited by lmbarns

Rolling Tumbleweed.

You start of as a small ball of Tumble weed rolling in a large 3d world growing by gathering dead plants and solve complex puzzles using the force of wind.

Exploring 3d worlds ,flying true the air and maybe going to other dimensions.

OK so katamari merged with a puzzle game,fun and easy to make.

Still looking for more game design ideas to enter this mini-comp (22 days still left!). Don't forget top 3 get gamedev membership for a year or equivalent steam prize if you have membership.

Mechs made out of Tumbleweeds with a rockem-sockem-robot game mechanic - turning and shuffling is slow so player has to try to predict opponents moves (perfect for network/internet play).    Sorry no real AI with A* and Influence mappings and a planner for the strategy.

Weird indian shaman magic to create tumbleweed golems ??