• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matrisking

SDL - Error in Visual Studio 2010 Express when Debugging

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm going through lazy foo's SDL tutorials using Visual C++  2010 Express and have noticed that everything in the first basic tutorial works fine when I run the application directly from the .exe, but when I try to click "play" to start debugging, I get the following error:

Unhandled exception at 0x681247d8 in test_game.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xccccccf8.

I'm guessing this is due to one of two things:

1) The debug environment isn't finding the necessary DLLs

2) The debug environment isn't finding the necessary images to load, so it's trying to dereference a null pointer.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about Visual Studio or how it sets up its debug environment and I haven't been able to google a solution to this.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, please let me know if I should provide more detail.

Use the debugger to find the line in your code that this occurs.  If you can't figure it out post a test case on ideone.com .

It breaks on the following line:

SDL_BlitSurface( source, NULL, destination, &offset );

If you'd like to see this in context....

#include "SDL.h"
#include "SDL_image.h"
#include <string>

const int SCREEN_WIDTH = 640;
const int SCREEN_HEIGHT = 480;
const int SCREEN_BPP = 32;

SDL_Surface *message = NULL;
SDL_Surface *background = NULL;
SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;

SDL_Surface *load_image( std::string filename )
{
    // Temporary storage for the image that's loaded
    SDL_Surface* loadedImage = NULL;

// The optimized image that will be used
    SDL_Surface* optimizedImage = NULL;

// Load the image
    loadedImage = SDL_LoadBMP( filename.c_str() );

if (loadedImage != NULL)
    {
        // Create an optimized image
        optimizedImage = SDL_DisplayFormat( loadedImage );

// Free the old image
        SDL_FreeSurface( loadedImage );

return optimizedImage;
    }
}

void apply_surface( int x, int y, SDL_Surface* source, SDL_Surface* destination )
{
    // Make a temporary rectangle to hold the offsets and assign their values
    SDL_Rect offset;
    offset.x = x;
    offset.y = y;

// Blit the surface
    SDL_BlitSurface( source, NULL, destination, &offset );
}

int main(int arg, char** argv)
{
    if ( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING ) == -1 )
    {
        return 1;
    }

// Set up the screen
    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, SCREEN_BPP, SDL_SWSURFACE );
    if ( screen == NULL )
    {
        return 1;
    }

// Set the window caption
    SDL_WM_SetCaption( "Hello World", NULL );

// Load the images
    message = load_image( "hello.bmp" );
    background = load_image( "background.bmp" );

apply_surface( 0, 0, background, screen );
    apply_surface( 320, 0, background, screen );
    apply_surface( 0, 240, background, screen );
    apply_surface( 320, 240, background, screen );

apply_surface( 180, 140, message, screen );

// Update the screen
    if ( SDL_Flip( screen ) == -1 )
    {
        return 1;
    }

// Wait 2 seconds
    SDL_Delay( 2000 );

SDL_FreeSurface( message );
    SDL_FreeSurface( background );

SDL_Quit();

return 0;
}

0xCCCCCCCC is MSVC's debug fill pattern for uninitialized memory. If you get an access violation in that neighborhood you probably haven't initialized everything properly. The first thing I would do is add code to check SDL_GetLastError() when your image loading fails.

Thanks for the reply.  In light of what you said, my strong assumption here would be that it's not finding the image files in the debug environment.  When using visual studio, if I want to load a file does it have to go in a different directory when debugging (as opposed to in production)?

Yes. With your current code, it'll search for the files in the folder that contains the executable. By default under VS these folders are called 'Release' and 'Debug'.

Add a check for NULL to your load_image calls and put your assets in some central location for the time being to save yourself from the headache of having to copy them over manually to the two folders each time you update them.

Edited by Indifferent

In your project properties go to "Debugging" under "Configuration Properties"

Then Change the Working Directory to "..\Debug"

Depending on your setup it might be something else, but I had the same issue and that's what fixed it. Let me know if this works.

In your project properties go to "Debugging" under "Configuration Properties"

Then Change the Working Directory to "..\Debug"

Depending on your setup it might be something else, but I had the same issue and that's what fixed it. Let me know if this works.

This did the trick.  You are a gentleman and a scholar, thanks!

Glad to hear it worked, as I mentioned I had the same problem with the same tutorials and was pulling my hair out trying to get them to work. 

All the best!