Sign in to follow this  

Why do entities need unique IDs?

This topic is 1781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my last project, I put unique id in my entity class, but I ended up never using it.

Why do we need it?

I use id's mostly for serializing/deserializing data.  it's also nice to have id's for looking up objects, for telling which object is a problem in a debug output. id's are very handy for a variety of reasons, if you can't see their use, then just try writing a system which can save and load your game at any given time.

They're an alternative to using pointers.

and are also pretty useful if code interacts over a network (say, for client/server gaming), as they are typically much more "general" than pointers are, or sometimes for otherwise synchronizing between code which doesn't directly share data structures.

Don't forget the ability to move objects around in memory (with pointers you can't do this, but if they're referenced by ID then you only need to update where the ID points rather than looking for the pointer about everywhere). Doing this can matter depending on how you allocate memory (especially if you're trying to avoid cache misses).

This topic is 1781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.