Do I learn the skills I need then make the game, or do I work on the game, and learn the skills along the way?

Started by
21 comments, last by Dennisvb 11 years, 1 month ago

I think this is the best way to summarize my current issue.

I'm thinking "I want to make this game." and I have some ideas down on how I want the game to be.

But then "I don't know the stuff I assume I'll need to make the game."

So I wonder which way to go about resolving this and I don't have an answer and I'm more or less in a state of indecision.

Advertisement

if you understand this concept (wikipedia)

while( user doesn't exit )
  check for user input
  run AI
  move enemies
  resolve collisions
  draw graphics
  play sounds
end while

you are ready to start

check for user input
  run AI
  move enemies
  resolve collisions
  draw graphics
  play sounds
end while

you are ready to start

I do, actually.

In fact, when I'm brainstorming for design ideas, I'm also thinking of how they function in this format.

That said, what is my problem then? Why am I not out there just doing stuff?

There are two separate skill sets involved here. One we might label a programming skill set and the other a game programming skill set. The first comprises the foundation you need to put together any sort of software application. The second is the set of knowledge and abilities specifically related to game development. Trying to learn the second while knowing nothing about the first is asking for a world of hurt.

Assuming a level of comfort with basic programming, then the answer to your question would be yes. You learn the skills needed to make games by diving in and making games, preferably starting with small, simple games and progressively making more complex ones (with the caveat that not everyone learns alike, so there are some people who dive into the deep end first). As you do so, you can't help but become a better programmer in the process. But it does require that you have that foundation first.

I recommend jumping in and working on the game you want to make. Having a project to apply programming skills to and is useful to learning and provides motivation.

You're letting the issue of "I don't know" get in the way of "learning how to know". In other words, "just do it". There are so many tutorials out on the web. Just pick one --I normally suggest Lazy Foo's SDL tutorial-- and work your way through it. Don't be scared to jump in. Remember the pool has a 3ft area and an 8ft area. You don't have to jump in the 8ft area to learn how to swim :)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

check for user input
  run AI
  move enemies
  resolve collisions
  draw graphics
  play sounds
end while

you are ready to start

I do, actually.

In fact, when I'm brainstorming for design ideas, I'm also thinking of how they function in this format.

That said, what is my problem then? Why am I not out there just doing stuff?

You're letting the issue of "I don't know" get in the way of "learning how to know". In other words, "just do it". There are so many tutorials out on the web. Just pick one --I normally suggest Lazy Foo's SDL tutorial-- and work your way through it. Don't be scared to jump in. Remember the pool has a 3ft area and an 8ft area. You don't have to jump in the 8ft area to learn how to swim smile.png

this. do tutorials until you don't need them ^^;

It all makes perfect sense. Well at least I can be clear that failure at this point is my own fault.

That said, I use C# and XNA so any tutorials related to that would be appreciated.

It all makes perfect sense. Well at least I can be clear that failure at this point is my own fault.

That said, I use C# and XNA so any tutorials related to that would be appreciated.

XNA Game Development by Example

by Packt

There is a 2D and a 3D book

good luck!

You only fail if you give up. Indecision is never failure, just ask Lebron James.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement