Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forces

This topic is 5896 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Got a little question for you math-guys. Say I have a point A, which in this case is the centre of gravity of a car. If I then apply a force at another point B with direction D and size P how do I calculate the resulting positional and rotational forces on point A. This could for example be if we drive into something with the front left corner of our fantastic car. Hope you understand what I mean. Oh, another thing, I'm trying to do this in 3D. And I really suck at 3D-math. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Edited by - Lantz on October 19, 2001 8:15:46 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Five years ago I could have helped you... but now instead of going to Physics class I just drink beer and play video games

The cross product of a vector from the center of mass to the point of impact with a vector for the force applied is the torque. Well, actually I think the torque is the magnitude of the resulting vector. My physics is more than a bit rusty so I don''t know where you go from there.

Okaayy...

|--------------|
| A |
|--------------B
^
/
/ P
The direction would be the same i think.
The force...crap...its been years.
What you need to do is look up levers. :-D
Thats basically whats going on, i think.

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''''lion

So, you have:

A ----- B
\
\
D

First, find angle ABD = arcos((AB.BD)/|AB||BD|)
Now, translational forces are P(cos ABD) in direction AB and rotational forces are P(sin ABD) in direction perpendicular to AB

rotational forces can probably just be modelled as a rotational acceleration of P(sin ABD)/mass_of_car.

Not fully sure of anything, but hopefully someone will see this post and correct anything that''s wrong.

Hope that helps

This is IMHO the best starting place on such matters: http://www.d6.com/users/checker/dynamics.htm
It has a series of 4 articles, explaining rigid body dynamics. It starts very simple in 2D with just lineair force effects, then handles 2D rotational effects of forces, 2D collision response impulses and then those same things in 3D.

Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits