funny idea for an ann game

Started by
15 comments, last by IADaveMark 11 years, 1 month ago

What if the inputs of the neural network were not just an enemy character in the game, but inputs for how the screen scrolls and zooms, enemies are spawned, enemies react, die, what happens to the player when he touches different things... basicly every single activity that happens during the game.

I was thinking you could train it all with backpropagation, you actually hand feed the neural network the motions of the game as if it was playing, then after it is trained it should be able to run the game for you. smile.png

It would be like a little man placing the game for you as you went through it.

Advertisement
Maybe you should get some actual experience with ANNs before you get too excited about their possibilities. Start by writing ANNs that learn basic things, like a linear combination of things to predict another (an ANN with a single neuron, which is like linear regression), then XOR... Then you can try to reproduce the results of other people with things like character recognition. By now you'll realize that backpropagation has lots of issues and doesn't get you too far. You can then learn something about support vector machines, deep belief networks, etc. Then go back and read your own post above, and see if it still makes sense.

A good starting point might be Perceptron, then Hopfield and then FeedForward. And in the mean time you will learn different training and error calculation algorithm like- hebb's rule, delta rule and after that, Backpropagation.

Good Luck.

To follow the path:

look to the master,

follow the master,

walk with the master,

see through the master,

become the master.

http://kazisami.wordpress.com/

Maybe you should get some actual experience with ANNs before you get too excited about their possibilities. Start by writing ANNs that learn basic things, like a linear combination of things to predict another (an ANN with a single neuron, which is like linear regression), then XOR... Then you can try to reproduce the results of other people with things like character recognition. By now you'll realize that backpropagation has lots of issues and doesn't get you too far. You can then learn something about support vector machines, deep belief networks, etc. Then go back and read your own post above, and see if it still makes sense.

Why do I feel like this is another example of "magic word" syndrome? That the OP is fascinated with "ANN" and keeps saying it over and over because he thinks it sounds cool despite having very little knowledge about what it really does or the (more suitable?) alternatives?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

what about natural motion? that exists does it not?

what about natural motion? that exists does it not?

Not sure what you are getting at there.

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

Well it works like natural motion... except instead of controlling one character, it controls multiple characters. (and the camera)

I dont see how if natural motion can work, this cant...

That's not the point. Your argument is very much like, "well, you can use a hammer on a nail, so why can't you use a hammer on a screw as well?" Right tool for the job, sir.

Is your goal to accomplish a gameplay trick or is your goal to use an ANN to do... something?

Blogs I write:

I believe he wants to use an ANN for all of the game's logic.

I don't believe he understands the point (If any) of ANN's.

I believe he wants to use an ANN for all of the game's logic.

I don't believe he understands the point (If any) of ANN's.

So what's the point (if any) of ANN ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement