Designing a small-scale 2D Runescape using Python

Started by
2 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 11 years, 1 month ago

I've began learning Python and the reason I got into programming was because I wanted to create my own RPG, both text-based to 2D, and maybe in the future, many years down the future, a 3D game for the shelves.

For now, I've just been experimenting with text-based mini scripts that any begginer on Python could do.

I'm downloading both the Blender Game Engine and PyGames in an effort to begin on a simple game design.

My idea was to do somewhat of a recreation of the first version of Runescape (called Devious MUD) which looked something like this:

DeviousMUD2-16223554.jpg

That in mind, I'm not trying to be overconfident or cocky in my VERY limited begginer knowledge in Python and programming in general (I have a little bit of knowledge in Java).

BUT....let's say that I were to begin on a small-scale project that takes on elements from Runescape (a medieval game set in Gielinor based on fighting monsters, training skills, and trading with other players), where would you recommend/what program would you recommend that I start out on?

Here are my current intentions for the game:

Single-player, no servers or multiplayer.

Basic combat system

A set of skills

2D Graphics and sounds

Click and point move system

All of that being said, could anyone offer me advice or tips on where to begin?

Thank you.

P.S: Don't send me to a Unity 3D Game Engine or anything like that. I'm not ready for anything of that scale.

Advertisement

A 2D tileset system is what you are looking for right? Or are you looking for something isometric?

I have a basic 2D tile system I made in PyGame for an RPG I was going to make.

So far, I have a character moving around on a map made from a tileset using the arrow keys.

It's a very simple system and not very developed so it would be a good starting point.
I did plan on eventually implementing features like scrolling maps, click and point move system, combat system, skill system etc.

Let me know if you are interested, I'm going to make it open-source anyways.

Yes, I would be very interested! I appreciate any coding experience I can get!

Honestly, continue building up your Python and Java skills. A little bit of Java is not enough. Don't rush your learning process. Learn at your own pace and make sure everything you learn can be applied to games. Once you know that, you can make anything(games being one example). Research new algorithm and learn to come up with your own algorithms. Same applies to data structures.

Remember this: a program = Data Structures + Algorithms.

Anything with menus will involve a solid fundamentals of GUI> Anything with animations (and moving still images) will involve logic, data structures and basic math.

Also don't skip chapters in the book. Programming in some way is cumulative. You can't really afford to do that especially if you are design software.

Again to repeat: just continue learning new skills and start applying them in Python and Java since you already familiar with it. You will find many answers throughout your programming journey.

This may seems like a lot for a beginner but as soon as you start applying them, it does not seem so. Just remember, don't give up. The result is priceless.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement