Browser Game: URL Playlist

Started by
1 comment, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

I am working on a little project to make a game which loads web addresses from a playlist of URLs. The game will be a kind of "Name That Song", but could also be used for other web content. The playlist would be saved from existing website URLs, basically user programmable. I would like them to also load in the game at random, but that is not too difficult to program in code.

Once the game is started, I want the playlist to run all the way through the list and at the end display a simple score of correct "guesses" from multiple choice answers of the names of the songs (or movies, or other web content).

The game would only have to be Windows based but backwards and forwards compatible.

Questions:

1) Should I make it a browser plugin add-on or be a standard browser game? (Which is more practical?)

2) Given that there will be a simple GUI and the program will be relatively short in coding, what language or languages would you recommend?

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement

I am working on a little project to make a game which loads web addresses from a playlist of URLs.

What do you mean by that exactly? Is it basically a webpage that loads other webpages? What is stopping you from using one page?

1) Making it a standard browser game is far more practical for you as a developer, and your end users. It is a lot less work for you than building and updating browser plugins for each browser. It is a lot less work for end users because they only need to visit a webpage. No need for downloading/installing plugins. I wouldn't build a plugin unless I intend to add something to the browser itself... there are just too many toolbars and plugins these days.

2) You basically have 2 options. Flash or JavaScript. Personally, I'd use JavaScript.

Well, it could be a webpage, but the idea is that a playlist can be made of URLs and the program plays all of them, preferably at random. Other playlists of URLs could be selected and run one at a time. For example, lets say I want to make and listen to a list of popular Rock songs of the 1970s. Somebody could go to websites and see if they like the song behind the link (such as YouTube songs) and include that URL in the programs playlist. After a collection is built, then the playlist could be run and the end user could enjoy the playing of all the songs as the program connects the URLs one by one. Added to this, the user could play a game of "name that tune" or "name that movie". See? biggrin.png

Even if no one else is interested in it, I sure am.

I hate the idea of security problems with Flash. JavaScript has been in my mind.

Clinton

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement