Stars coming out of screen.. will only texture mapping do..?

Started by
1 comment, last by Adorn 11 years, 1 month ago

I am pretty new to Graphics Programming. I am currently using OpenGL. I have got some hands-on in last few days. I have knowledge of Texture Mapping, Cubemap, Multitexturing. But somehow I am not able to bridge the gap between my understanding and actual coding

What I am trying to do is create a demo of a stars coming out of screen. It should look realistic.

Now, my questions are:
1. Is Cubemap capable of doing this?
2. Do I need to write particle engine for this?(Really, don't want to at this stage)
3. This is kinda most needed for me. May I See some code..? In some tutorial / just code would also do.. but i think if its similar to my requirement then only it will Help
Advertisement

What I am trying to do is create a demo of a stars coming out of screen. It should look realistic.

We need a little more information about what you are trying to accomplish, and your definition of "realistic".

Are you talking about a "flying stars" effect,

">like the screen saver? Or are you looking for something more complicated?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Yes.. Something very similar to this. But you see, in this video, when stars are very near to viewer, it looks like a small line.

By realistic, I meant

1. A star should have shininess from the time enters into viewing volume till it leaves viewing volume

2. Perspective Projection

3. actual feel of "Viewer" is travelling in the space.

So can anyone give me link some code.. as I stated earlier, I am able to imagine what I want to do.. but I'm not being able to map it into some code.

What I have tried tilln now is ==> applying stars images to cubemap. But it looks as if its an image..like corners are present..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement