Would people enjoy a hardcore story-based strategy game?

Started by
38 comments, last by jwoff25 10 years, 11 months ago

Every game is repetetive in some way, more or less. But one of the things you dont want to become repetetive is the things making you use your brain alot because that can become exhaustive. You woud also be doing the genre a service by adding a good story. Think about how awesome it woud be if your product got noticed for being a RTS game with strong, intriguing and good story!

Advertisement

You should look up an older ps1 game called Brigandine. It's primitive in many respects by modern standards, but it did some of the sorts of things you're talking about. It was a conquer the world strategy style strategy game. You marshalled armies, went to war over territories, and fought turn based battles on a hex map. However, as opposed to a more traditional strategy game, you chose your faction from something in the realm of 7 or 8 rulers. The ruler you chose had a backstory, friends, enemies, and so on. As you progress through the game, different story elements come out if given conditions are met, such as two enemies on the same battlefield will have some unique dialogue, or a given character will betray one faction to join another based on some event happening. Said event would often be player controlled and would not be scripted to happen in every game.

Now, don't get me wrong, Brigandine did some neat things, but didn't take them very far. I think its a good example of starting point for the sorts of things you're talking about, but you would probably want to take the concepts there and go a lot further with them.

I actually did some research on that game and I think it's perfect as inspiration for our game. As you said, I doesn't take things very far, which is where my team comes in:)

Thanks for the response!

Every game is repetetive in some way, more or less. But one of the things you dont want to become repetetive is the things making you use your brain alot because that can become exhaustive. You woud also be doing the genre a service by adding a good story. Think about how awesome it woud be if your product got noticed for being a RTS game with strong, intriguing and good story!

True, hopefully we can keep the gameplay entertaining without giving too many players a headache:) It indeed would be, might I say, kick-ass.

Thanks for the response!

Although I don't really play story-based games all that much, I like the idea. You mention unique locations with their own lore: One idea that might work for this would be a unique, strategic progression for these locations, maybe based on certain properties or stats. Maybe one location, which was founded in revolution, is described as having religious strife, with battles in the streets a common occurrence. So that city is set to randomize disruptions or delays in construction until some other situation arises (a messiah unit appears on the map). This way the strategic experience lines up with the story and offers better, more defined (even alive) locations than something like a generic civilization map could offer.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

Although I don't really play story-based games all that much, I like the idea. You mention unique locations with their own lore: One idea that might work for this would be a unique, strategic progression for these locations, maybe based on certain properties or stats. Maybe one location, which was founded in revolution, is described as having religious strife, with battles in the streets a common occurrence. So that city is set to randomize disruptions or delays in construction until some other situation arises (a messiah unit appears on the map). This way the strategic experience lines up with the story and offers better, more defined (even alive) locations than something like a generic civilization map could offer.

This is exactly what we were thinking of doing! There would be random events going on in the world based on lore and the play can take advantage of these situations.

Thanks for the response:)

Yes story based strategy games creates interest in player...

Story should be strong enough to engage player.

Yes story based strategy games creates interest in player...

Story should be strong enough to engage player.

Fosho.

Are you familiar with King of Dragon Pass? It's, to my mind, the archetypical story/strategy game.

http://a-sharp.com/kodp

The strategy is around establishing a mythical/fantasy tribe in a new land, and the story comes in as you have to manage people as individuals as well as the tribe as a whole.

Are you familiar with King of Dragon Pass? It's, to my mind, the archetypical story/strategy game.

http://a-sharp.com/kodp

The strategy is around establishing a mythical/fantasy tribe in a new land, and the story comes in as you have to manage people as individuals as well as the tribe as a whole.

No I am not, but it sounds cool. I'll check it out.

Just thinking...

According to my knowledge, most strategy games don't have a lot of story because of the open and decision based nature of strategy games.

What would you guys think if there was a more story based strategy game? Maybe a little more restricted in terms of choice but with more story options.

Maybe the different factions have complicated relationships and you can somehow manipulate that to make things happen.

Also unique lore and cities with different backstories that overall affect the game.

Very underdeveloped idea, but some feedback would be nice:)

One of my favorite games "Final Fantasy Tactics" is pretty story-driven, though you don't really affect the story much through choices (besides a few minor things). However, I like the idea of story-driven games in general, although I think there are some caveats. If a game is to be driven by story it needs to feature some good story-telling and writing (too many games make basic story-telling mistakes). Also if you plan on having lots of branching story-lines, freedom of choice etc. I think it becomes harder to create a meaningful narrative - where there are layers of story and things tie together, etc.

I think story-driven games has the potential to be very engaging and I think there are far too few games that feature a strong story that drags you in.

www.marklightforunity.com | MarkLight: Markup Extension Framework for Unity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement