Game is crashing when running the .exe

Started by
7 comments, last by johnmarinelli 11 years, 1 month ago

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to release my first game that I've built in VS2010 using SDL. I think I'm supposed to put all the resources (.png, .wav, .dlls, etc) into the same folder as the .exe (the Release folder). I've also done all the same configuring I did in Debug mode as Release mode.

However, when I try to run the .exe, I get the following:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	killStuff.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	5136485b
  Fault Module Name:	SDL.dll
  Fault Module Version:	1.2.14.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4f130126
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00024499
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

now, I know c0000005 is a memory access error - however after trying the method from msdn's website for finding memory leaks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e5ewb1h3%28v=vs.80%29.aspx), nothing showed up. Is there something I'm missing?

Advertisement

When you launch a project from the ide, the default path used is the project directory, so simply copy the .exe in this directory and it should work, instead of the other way around. But since we don't see how you load your files (relative path, full path, ect), i cannot be sure for certain.

When you launch a project from the ide, the default path used is the project directory, so simply copy the .exe in this directory and it should work, instead of the other way around. But since we don't see how you load your files (relative path, full path, ect), i cannot be sure for certain.

So I copy the .exe from the project directory into the Release folder?
I'm not sure what 'relative path' and 'full path' mean; however I didn't do anything fancy so I'm sure I'm loading my files the "default" way (if there is such a thing).

I'm not sure what 'relative path' and 'full path' mean;

Full path would be somethign like c:\games\bob\cool\image.png

Relative path would be something like cool\image.png or ..\cool\image.png

So one question is in your code where you are loading resources which method are you using?

I'm assuming relative path so you need to make sure your .exe is in the right place to "find" the resources by following the "path" laid out in the code.

Well, that's a little REDUNDANT. Look, I'll let you off with a warning this time, but next time please just say "I cannot be sure," instead of the extra "for certain."

Well, "grammar police", in case you didn't notice the flag in my avatar, english is not my native language...

Did not mean to be rude, but jeez... who care.

grammar-police.jpg

laugh.png

interesting - I just copied my whole project folder into the release folder and it worked. I'm not sure if this is the *best* way to do it, but at least it works. Now if I wanted to host this on a website for other computers to download, I just upload my release folder? What if the other computer doesn't have VS2010?

Nooo! I've recorded an example using vmware and a little project i've made.

Basically, you have to do it the other way around.

And if you want the dlls, they're here, but you should check this post instead.

You only need to upload the exe + game assets, ex textures, models ect

Hope that help.

Nooo! I've recorded an example using vmware and a little project i've made.

Basically, you have to do it the other way around.

And if you want the dlls, they're here, but you should check this post instead.

You only need to upload the exe + game assets, ex textures, models ect

Hope that help.

Awesome! I'll check this as soon as I get home. Thanks a lot!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement