Started by
17 comments, last by jolteon 11 years, 1 month ago

I have been told to stop programming

By whom?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

I have been told to stop programming

By whom?

By me, for one. Though not in so many words. Later in that thread, L.Spiro was a bit more forthright.

phil67rpg is, IMO, an interesting case. Seriously, look at his posting history. On the one hand, he seems like he's just super eager to learn, he's relatively polite, etc... On the other hand, he just doesn't listen. Look how long he's been battling with Breakout. We're talking years here, with a posting history littered with threads essentially asking the same questions over and over and over without any indication whatsoever that he bothered to read replies to the previous threads. Helping people and encouraging them is one thing, but exactly how much time are people supposed to spend on helping someone who apparently just doesn't bother to read any replies or follow up on them?

While many people on this great site are great programmers and great talents I would say that no one except the OP should decide whether he should stop programming or not. Perhaps the OP should learn to do what he likes and not what other people are telling him to do.

When reading a book or tutorial line by line should be read and understood. Every example should be read carefully and researched like one is studying the holy text itself. This counts no matter what programming you are doing(scripting or engine programming). You need to be stubborn, real stubborn and persistent.

Start programming now if you feel like and stop asking others what to do. Have fun and enjoy your life. It is your life and your decisions.

All the best for you.

Dwarf King

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Phil, if you want to program then go ahead and program -- the thing that was annoying people was when you apparently gave up on some particular problem and then came back with exactly the same question some time later -- by all means continue with your goal of programming, but if you get stuck you need to stick with it and solve your problem, or if you really need to take a break come back to the same topic rather than just starting over a few weeks later.

To be good at programming you need to persist and work through your difficulties.

You have great enthusiasm, and you're obviously very driven to succeed at programming -- these are great attributes -- you just need to persist through difficulties, and to work hard to understand the advice you're given rather than simply abandoning topics.

If you want to program then don't ask for permission, just go about your programming.

- Jason Astle-Adams

thanks for all the advice

After links to me telling him to quit programming people have been down-voting those posts.
But consider this.

To be good at programming you need to persist and work through your difficulties.

After having been told to quit he took time to evaluate his passion and found the overwhelming urge to continue.
And it appears he finished his game between that time and now without having to ask for help.

As I had been saying in the posts leading up to telling him to quit, we are not doing him a favor by holding his hand so tightly.

Now we have officially (and finally) helped him.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Ah wow *facepalm* Just realized the topic about the finished Breakout game was his. I've been staying quiet there but I remember some of his other topics.

Not only did he finish his game, he also kept going further by resolving the dependency issues related to other people trying to open his game.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Helping people and encouraging them is one thing, but exactly how much time are people supposed to spend on helping someone who apparently just doesn't bother to read any replies or follow up on them?

Always keep in mind: there are thousands of silent recipients of advice from these forums in the form of google users who get solutions to the identical problem without ever having to create an account and post their question. This is one reason why I still prefer forums in the age of twitter/facebook/tumblr.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

i think that if you stop, you'll be wasting time to improve your skills

definitely keep doing it!! head up

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement