I am dissappointed in alot of you.

Started by
6 comments, last by AngelStar 22 years, 6 months ago
I wanted an answer to my thread but instead it turned into something political. I wanted people to think, but the answers of many have made me realize that yes, it is hard for people to make games with leads of non white or asian descent. What even troubles me more is the fact that many honestly belive that videogame penetration percentages are highest amongst white males. Companies like Electronic Arts know otherwise. Sad. Very sad indeed.
Advertisement
I''m pretty sure you got your answer and knew what that type of question would lead to. Don''t act all innocent. Unless you''re totally ignorant to what that type of question could cause, you are more to blame than all that gave their input about that topic.
Your questions were answered sufficiently - "do it yourself." There was a consensus that you absolutely cannot blame someone for creating characters similar to themselves.

Bringing the whole thing up again is unnecessary.

(And facts not backed up by verifiable, conclusive evidence are no better than rumors.)

Peace.
When you phrase your topic as "Is it that hard to ..." it sounds pretty accusatory. It isn''t like most of the pople on this site are professional game developers and really have a say in who the main characters in games are...

The average video-game maker in the US is a white male. From the interviews I have gone to I would say that 90-95% of programmers, artists, producers etc are white or asian males between the ages of 20 to 40 or so. So the average video game character is going to reflect that. (That and the fantasy woman...)

You also have to keep in mind that as a white or asian male you can get yourself into trouble if you make a game/movie/book about someone else. If, for example, your main character is black but "acts white" people are going to accuse you of not really understanding the situation. But if you make them "act black" people are going to accuse you of stereotyping...people are going to look at the races of the author(s), compare it the race of the character(s) and try to draw some conclusions.

The solution here is very basic, as soon as there is a wider representation in video-game *makers* there will be wider representation in games themselves.

By the same token, there are an inordinate number of games that say "now with D&D 3.1 Edition Compliance!!!!" Why? Because a lot of video-game makers are D&D players...not that anyone else cares about the D&D rules or knows what they are. (I could care less what rules it follows, as long as they work and the game is fun)

People make what they know...there isn''t anything insidious about that...but your topic sounded very accusatory.

PS: Ithaca NY rules.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
PS: Ithaca NY rules.

Cornell or Ithaca College?

Or Ithaca High School?
I read through that "Why no non White non Asian leads" thread. I didn''t respond as I found the whole thing a non-issue. As long as we''re not trying to accurately model real life circumstances and situations, the color/heredity of the characters doesn''t matter.

I make and design games that are in fantastic situations. These sitations are not here, and not now. So maybe this isn''t so much of an issue for me. Especially since I create the cultures, and races.

The majority of the people in the games I''ve designed have, however been white. The reason? Programmer art. Dark backgrounds, light sprites, characters usually on the scale of 40 or so pixels. In those situations, it''s easier for me to find accpetable shades of pink than any other color. Especially since none of them have pink clothes or shoes.

What troubles me is that you came around, and tossed another thread on the same issue. Or, in my mind, that you tossed another thread on the same non-issue. This is even more saddening when all the answers you needed were in your mind, and on that thread.
I am disappointed with YOU.

Game designers usually make characters that they identify with, and it is up to them what they choose the character to be.

- Pete
AngelStar, if you want to continue this conversation you''ll need to do so through private e-mail. Thread closed.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement