Can ANYONE help me?

Started by
31 comments, last by goober 22 years, 5 months ago
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
While we''re on the topic of programming machismo, go build a computer (of your own design) and toggle in the operating system (of your own design and implementarion) code in binary machine language through the front panel without an error on your first try.
Cray did it, why shouldn''t you? (Hint: use assembly instead)

Heh heh heh. You are pretending that _I_ claimed to be able to do this, or to enjoy Assmebly more than C++. Not so; I was just pointing out that you have no valid argument.
quote:Every tool has its domain where it makes more sense. There are several domains where VB is more efficient and logical than C++ (not necessarily in terms of execution speed, but of development time and costs). There are domains where Perl flat out blows C/C++ out of the water - regular expressions, for one. Still arguing for the lower level language?
It''s all about appropriateness. C and assembly are largely equally as efficient; it''s only in certain very specific instances that you gain any noticeable gain from using assembly. So why use it?

As stated earlier, he is doing it as a learning experience, for personal satisfaction. For some reason you don''t want to allow him to do such things. Get off your high horse; it is not your place in the world to declare the "appropriateness" of everything someone else feels like doing.
quote:It''s your choice anyway. I''m just not into masochism.

Correct; you are more of a bitch-and-moaner.
Advertisement
>>As stated earlier, he is doing it as a learning experience, for personal satisfaction

That''s perfectly acceptible. I think everybody programmer would benefit from learning assembly. But, I believe Oluseyi and I were under the impression this wasn''t the reason he was doing it.
quote:Original post by Thrump
>>As stated earlier, he is doing it as a learning experience, for personal satisfaction

That's perfectly acceptible. I think everybody programmer would benefit from learning assembly. But, I believe Oluseyi and I were under the impression this wasn't the reason he was doing it.

It was, and I don't know how you, or oluseyi, got any other idea.

To eveyone:
I have been away for a few days and ythe thread has run away on me. I am not going to "get all flamed up", like everyone else on the thread is, nor am I going to continue to counter the statements-that-look-perfectly-reasonable-but-arent that are being spitted out at me, particularly by Oluseyi.

I WILL use assembler. C++ is not better, that is almost as stupid as saying that assembler is easier to learn. I WILL make a game(with whatever language I chose), and anyone who doesn't like it, please tell me about it:
I LOVE a good argument.

btw, if anyone was considering posting something useful to me, I am composing a new thread that will hopefully not contain any of the mortal-sins that I have perpetratedc in the past.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
Goober

Edited by - goober on October 30, 2001 12:39:41 AM
On my cloud where I belong...Goober

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement