Can ANYONE help me?

Started by
31 comments, last by goober 22 years, 5 months ago
I have been finding that if one askes a question about rts/wargames, it is ignored! If one askes questions about any other type of game, there are 20 million replies! Doesn''t ANYONE know anything about the best genre of computer game ever created? "Of all the things I''ve lost, I miss my mind the most." Goober
On my cloud where I belong...Goober
Advertisement
quote:Original post by goober
Doesn''t ANYONE know anything about the best genre of computer game ever created?

Well, if that''s how you ask then it''s no wonder you''re being ignored. The "best" in anything is always debatable; try to refrain from turning off people who don''t necessarily agree with you. Also, don''t insult people''s egos ("doesn''t anyone know?" isn''t a very polite way to ask).

That said, I''ll agree that the most popular genre is RPGs (but I feel very few people on this site have anything new or important to add to the genre; something that would make someone like me start playing.) I like sports, some action/FPS but I''m not a dedicated/hardcore gamer. Noone talks about sports games on GameDev. RTSes, OTOH, receive a decent amount of attention, after RPGs and FPSes.

So ask nicely and clearly, and you''ll get dozens of replies.
quote:

I have asked in the past in a nice manner, and I am always as clear as I can be, but if you have any suggestions as to how to ask nicely/clearly and not be drowned out by the countless other posts, I''d be much obliged.

"Of all the things I''ve lost, I miss my mind the most."
Goober
goober ??
do u own this forum ??
is there some where stating we must answer your
posts..??

let people answer whatever they want to answer ...

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
quote:Original post by jwalker
goober ??
do u own this forum ??
is there some where stating we must answer your
posts..??

let people answer whatever they want to answer ...

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }

jwalker ??
no, and I never said I did ??
no, and I never said there was ??

I already do. That doesn''t mean I am not allowed to reply to their replies. I too am allowed to answer whatever I want to answer. Besides, I asked Oluseyi to clarify what he was saying, I didn''t ask you to jump up on your high horse and ride off into the sunset!

{ Then how come you sent me a message stating the obvious? }

Goober
Here's a generic request template:

Hi. I'm working on/thinking about/wondering if you had thought about X.(Alternatively: have ou ever noticed Y?) To my mind it would be best toaccomplish it using method Q, which I tried but it didn't work. This is whathappened: R. If you have any suggestions/comments/enhancements to make, I'dreally appreciate it. Thanks.  

You get the picture.

Edit: newlines.

Edited by - Oluseyi on October 23, 2001 3:12:30 AM
Based on your question, I already see why it may have gone unanswered. A good general rule when speaking with humans is to avoid stereotype. For example, dont ask "What the best is", because there is no best. If I was to say "FPS are the best" then I''m combining my opinion, and attempting to state it as fact when it is not.

So you may get better response if you ask something like "What are your favorite genre''s of computer games, and do you know anything about this genre?" (lol, either way it''s still one wacked out question). Asking "Doesn''t ANYONE know anything about the best genre of computer game ever created?" is attempting to state that a best genre exists, which is false, is worded very badly making it hard to understand, and makes little sense even after I translated it to a "better" (better in my opinion of course), so you may want to rethink what you are asking entirely.

Also, you complain that questions about rts/wargames is ignored. If not because of the way these questions are asked/worded, it''s simply possible that not many people are interested in these genre''s, and nobody willing to reply has an answer. If 20 million people are answering questions about other "type of game" (gah, lol), then perhaps those people replying 20 million times are sharing the same interests, or maybe even simply having the answers to the questions being asked regarding the other genre''s. There isn''t much you can do, and complaining isn''t the smartest choice

If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!
quote:Original post by goober

I have asked in the past in a nice manner, and I am always as clear as I can be, but if you have any suggestions as to how to ask nicely/clearly and not be drowned out by the countless other posts, I''d be much obliged.

Goober

I checked your profile after reading this.

Actually, your other postings (the unanswered ones, anyway) have tended towards adversarial.

Your post at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=63641 about RTS design went unanswered, probably for two reasons. 1) It was way too broad. People write books to answer questions like that. 2) You follow up with a bunch of negative conditions (Don''t tell me about X) which always comes off hostile when read.

Your post at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=47286 probably went unanswered because we''ve seen that question posed and answered a thousand times, and if you''d done a simple forum search on ''framerate'' you''d know the answer that too. Also, the question is so basic I doubt that anyone has bothered to write an article about, which was your specific request.

I would gladly answer your questions about rts/wargames, if they were a bit more specific, and showed some evidence that you were actively working on the problem. As it is, it looks like you might be the type that just asks questions without considering that you might be able to come up with the answer yourself.
Oluseyi, SirSmoke, Anonymous Poster, ...:

OK, I take your point.
You are saying, basically, that people can''t answer me because of the way I ask my questions and the way in which I respond, and that others wont answer me for those reasons, because they cannot, and because they feel I don''t make any effort on my own. I will try to take your advice in future, but it is hard to teach a goober new tricks...

btw Some people speak/type/act/think differently to others. I am not an exeption. You(Anonymous Poster in particular) should avoid judging people by how they speak, and wonder instead why they ask that way. As I said above, I accept your points, but I will be the way I will be, and I will only ever be capable of changing my language, not my attitudes.

Goober
The problem with the 1st post mentioned by the anoumous poster above is that:
1. your asking for assembly, not many people on this forum know or us it much.
2. your question is way to braud.
3. your asking a higher level question and not many people on this forum work with RTSes (I have asked questions about them several times and gotten few responses). It would be safe to assume most people on gamedev are either working on fps games or doing beginner 2D games. And most people in general on this forum are beginners. RTS games are defenately not games for newbies, they very complex beasts.

Possibility

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement