Women vs Tropes in Video Games

Started by
81 comments, last by AoS 11 years, 1 month ago

But this might be a good time to mention that the only thing that has gone into my stomach in the last 3 days is 50%-vol (not proof) Vodka, and I should probably just remove myself from the conversation. Even drunk I can see I am saying a few idiotic things.

I can respect this. I too have not had food for days and instead... had alcohol. Ah the life of a starving artist.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

Advertisement

Why turn this at the extreme case ? For what I know most fathers and mothers say that the best thing that happens in their live is the coming of their little babies. So yes the live is more fun when there are men and women.

This is certainly true. However, I don't think it's what L. Spiro meant to imply.

And we return to my original point.
Why am I the least-bothered by this video?

You're the least bothered because you're the only one that is looking at this from the perspective of "feminist issues are a real thing that need to be talked about." Duh. Obviously. That's not an opinion, that's an objective fact that only the most bigoted would disagree with (which, yeah, a lot of them are on the internet). Honestly its shameful that in a modern, first world society we still can't completely grasp the fact "Oh hey, we're all the same species and need each other to survive... we should treat everyone by the same standard."

The thing a lot of people are upset about isn't that she's talking about feminist issues. The thing people are upset that this was the first taste of what she planned to do with $16k after 6 months. Btw, I literally looked up "roles of women in video games" or something similar on YouTube and found a much more interesting (albeit a bit more amateur) video where someone was talking about this very subject. I don't care that she's a woman, or that she has an idea I generally agree with: I'm angry that someone was basically able to make it rain with a shallow business pitch (I remember seeing it once before it was over) and this is all they have to show for it.

If she wants to make a documentary, fine, make a documentary. But if all the backers got was like... a newsroom shot while she spouted sparse facts overlayed by fancy graphics, then yeah she could have probably done that as a hobby on the side. As someone else mentioned: of course it's great to make money off something you love, but the standards go up when you start asking for money.

Also to the person who said it was a good idea to disable comments and ratings because it would "get in the way of the message"... do you realize how hypocritical that statement is? This is a video series intended to INCREASE DISCUSSION ABOUT WOMEN IN VIDEO GAMES, so it's a good idea to discourage any kind of response or free thought on the very video itself? Can I get an English major in here to determine whether or not that's irony... because I think it is.

Actually anything directly related to Sarkeesian would just be bogged down by the scum of the internet. There would have been nothing useful in the comments on the video. She was right to block that, although I don't see why she blocked ratings. As if anyone cares about ratings anyways, so even if it was 10 to 1 bad it doesn't matter.

There was some amateur pokemon fan girl I came across accidentally while watching cracked videos that was super better at this than Anita with her degrees is. And surprisingly her super high pitched ideal japanese girl voice didn't get in the way of her point. It did hurt my ears a little though.

Someone on another forum claimed Anita needed all that money because licensing Nintendo content, but most youtube videos don't have that and use nintendo stuff anyways.

Sadly no one on Gamedev has bothered to answer my question about whether Anita's video falls under fair use or not.

Someone on another forum claimed Anita needed all that money because licensing Nintendo content, but most youtube videos don't have that and use nintendo stuff anyways.

Sadly no one on Gamedev has bothered to answer my question about whether Anita's video falls under fair use or not.

From everything I know about it, which I'm not a lawyer so anybody else's opinion could override mine easily, but I think it would fall under fair use. I'm pretty sure that's why people like AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, Ray William Johnson, Let's Players, etc etc etc can have their content up on Youtube and the internet without getting sued. However, Fair Use isn't a inherent right with well defined parameters: what is fair use for one IP may not be fair use for another. Sometimes it can just come down to the quality of the lawyers if a suit is made. Which in turn can often result in a suit never being made in the first place, as in the case of Let's Plays that content can basically be free advertising for the company.

So, I think technically its fair use but I could see her using the money to cover her ass if, say, she ever wanted to sell DVDs of it. Or otherwise directly monetize it.

Actually anything directly related to Sarkeesian would just be bogged down by the scum of the internet. There would have been nothing useful in the comments on the video. She was right to block that, although I don't see why she blocked ratings. As if anyone cares about ratings anyways, so even if it was 10 to 1 bad it doesn't matter.

C'est la vie, that is the internet. Removing comments and ratings completely discourages any constructive discussion in addition to the shit, so this may be a personal opinion... but I don't think restricting the comments of trolls is worth silencing or disengaging those who care about the subject. Free speech is ugly, but it also exposes truth. Not to mention, in the case of this forum right here, there are a lot of good points being made about her delivery/use of random backer money which as a content creator she could have constructively used- even if some of us are raging a bit. However, since this commentary has to be made outside of the scope she can see- or will likely refuse to look at if linked to it -there's no way this criticism can be used constructively, however valid or invalid.

There was some amateur pokemon fan girl I came across accidentally while watching cracked videos that was super better at this than Anita with her degrees is. And surprisingly her super high pitched ideal japanese girl voice didn't get in the way of her point. It did hurt my ears a little though.

Care to link? Always looking for new people to follow on the YouTubes.

AniMerrill, a.k.a. Ethan Merrill

From everything I know about it, which I'm not a lawyer so anybody else's opinion could override mine easily, but I think it would fall under fair use. I'm pretty sure that's why people like AVGN, Nostalgia Critic, Ray William Johnson, Let's Players, etc etc etc can have their content up on Youtube and the internet without getting sued. However, Fair Use isn't a inherent right with well defined parameters: what is fair use for one IP may not be fair use for another. Sometimes it can just come down to the quality of the lawyers if a suit is made. Which in turn can often result in a suit never being made in the first place, as in the case of Let's Plays that content can basically be free advertising for the company.

So, I think technically its fair use but I could see her using the money to cover her ass if, say, she ever wanted to sell DVDs of it. Or otherwise directly monetize it.

>Actually anything directly related to Sarkeesian would just be bogged down by the scum of the internet. There would have been nothing useful in the comments on the video. She was right to block that, although I don't see why she blocked ratings. As if anyone cares about ratings anyways, so even if it was 10 to 1 bad it doesn't matter.

C'est la vie, that is the internet. Removing comments and ratings completely discourages any constructive discussion in addition to the shit, so this may be a personal opinion... but I don't think restricting the comments of trolls is worth silencing or disengaging those who care about the subject. Free speech is ugly, but it also exposes truth. Not to mention, in the case of this forum right here, there are a lot of good points being made about her delivery/use of random backer money which as a content creator she could have constructively used- even if some of us are raging a bit. However, since this commentary has to be made outside of the scope she can see- or will likely refuse to look at if linked to it -there's no way this criticism can be used constructively, however valid or invalid.

I've seen discussion on a dozen forums and about half are worth reading. And since forums are much more easily moderated and tend to have dedicated moderators its much better to talk there. Also if one peruses the proper forums one can be pretty sure of quality of content.

Care to link? Always looking for new people to follow on the YouTubes.

I haven't got links really. It didn't occur to me.

There have been many rumors about how the money was spent. There even was a photo shopped ticket of many expensive shoes saying "This is what anita bought with the kickstarter money".

I wouldn't believe that Nintendo licencing fees rumor either.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

There have been many rumors about how the money was spent. There even was a photo shopped ticket of many expensive shoes saying "This is what anita bought with the kickstarter money".

I wouldn't believe that Nintendo licencing fees rumor either.

The person who told me is not a rumor monger of some sort though. It wasn't a games forum. They claim they had a good way of knowing, personal experience or something. I dunno.

Wow.

I seriously can't believe that on a forum that's supposedly populated by intelligent developers I'm seeing such pathetic defensive posts.

Her points are entirely valid. For any triple A game you can name where we have a strong female lead, I can name TEN where they are damsels or male titilation as leads.

How do you know this is populated by intelligent developers? Just because someone is registered to a site, be it reddit, teamliquid or whatever doesn't make them intelligent. This is an annoying...idea that is self perpetuated by the people inside so many communities.

That is not a point, but it is a valid observation.

Engineering Manager at Deloitte Australia

Not to mention, in the case of this forum right here, there are a lot of good points being made about her delivery/use of random backer money which as a content creator she could have constructively used- even if some of us are raging a bit.

To my mind, this thread is a prime example of why she is justified in disabling comments. While you all may not be as verbally abusive as the average YouTube commenter, you aren't exactly bashing her any the less for it - and constructive criticism beyond "spend money better" has been few and far between.

I would like to think better of our community, but I can't help the feeling that most of you would be responding in a different way, were she either not female, or not working on this particular issue...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I haven't yet had a chance to watch the video in the OP, but I did happen across this interesting video of someone hacking donkey kong to reverse the character roles today.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement