Feel like I'm going nowhere

Started by
16 comments, last by Chad Smith 11 years, 1 month ago

I've been working with Java for a while, but still feel like I've gotten nowhere. When I first started programming, I was learning so much useful stuff but now I don't know where to go. I know a lot of my syntax for the standard library, but I still can't really make anything cool. I've read a few basic Java books, but I just don't know where to go next? Any help? I really feel like switching languages to something with more documentation on it? I'm not sure though, thanks.

Advertisement
Switching languages won't help.

This is the time that you need to look around, find something you want to do then figure out how to do it. Learning can't be done without stretching. Find a game you like, try to make something similar. You'll probably fail, but don't worry about that because in failing you learn a lot. Keep trying.

There just comes a point where tutorials, docs, books, etc... just aren't going to cut it. Continuing to rely on these external sources of knowledge will just have you running around endlessly in the same old circle.

Well, I'm fairly confident I know the language well. My problem is the actual game design and architecture. What would you recommend for that?

Also, any ideas for projects that I should work on?

Well, if you like 3D you could try LWJGL and learn some OpenGL.

If you want to construct the gameplay side of things instead of the low-level stuff you could grab JMonkey Engine and do something with it.

If you just want to make something without fancy graphics, in 2D, you could try to make a game with Swing. That will get you around many game systems right away (mostly).

You could learn about design patterns, or good coding habits by grabbing a book about them (and putting them into practice by coding something).

Just see what you want to do and do it.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Well, I don't think I'm at the level to work on any 3d projects yet.

I've played around with slick a bit before, it's pretty cool.

Well, I'm fairly confident I know the language well. My problem is the actual game design and architecture. What would you recommend for that?

Also, any ideas for projects that I should work on?

Find a 2D Java graphics library (look into Slick2D or LWJGL) and just dive into making a game. I'd suggest something like the original Mario. 2D, a generic tile engine, basic bounding box collision. It can't be too complex, or you'll get frustrated; if it's too simple, you'll get bored. If there's a feature you're curious about, try to add it; if you can't figure it out on your own, search for an answer online. Between here and places like stackexchange, you'll find advice on how to implement almost anything, along with known best practices--following those can save you a lot of headaches, but sometimes it's better to find out why they're considered best practices rather than taking someone else's word for it.

You'll know you're learning when you look back at code you wrote earlier, or even the way your entire game is structured, and think it's terrible--and that you know how to do it better. That's what I assume it means when it happens to me, anyway.

Well, I've tried making a simple mario type game in the past, but I got frustrated trying to figure out how to set up the tilemap.

Stein102 - Sounds like you are trying to swallow the chicken whole, and then getting frustrated when it will not fit into your mouth.

You have had several good suggestions from others so far, but tend to shoot them down. Again, because you are trying to swallow the chicken whole ( Just using an analogy)

Take a look at what you are trying to do. Parts of it you can swallow easily, because you know them. Parts you can not!!! That is the part you just want to take a bite out of.

On your Mario Game... you are trying to swallow it whole!!! Instead, try to take a Bite out of the Tilemap.

What I am trying to say, Slice the tilemap off of that chicken, and concentrate soley on that. Write a tilemap program that does nothing more that display a tile map. Once you swallow that part, then make it a scrolling tilemap. Once you swallow that part then make it a scrolling tilemap with impassible objects.

You understand what I am Saying ? Learning Game Programming is like Biting and chewing. Your mind will digest it better if you chew a little at a time!

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

Some very good advice given by previous posters.

Personally, I would recommend making a text-based game. Command-line stuff where you select numbers from an options screen and all that jazz. Allow a the player to select different locations...

"You are in the Study. Colonel Mustard is here. There is a Candle stick."

"1. Talk to Colonel Mustard."

"2. Search Study."

"3. Take Candle stick."

"4. Examine Inventory."

"5. Return to main hallway."

...you get the idea. It will help consolidate your knowledge of Java before leaping into a games or graphics api, and you certainly won't be taking on too much. Once you finished that then consider a similar project but using a visual interface - text boxes, images, buttons, combo boxes etc. Add pictures to your game to show Colonel Mustard, the Candle stick and the Study...or maybe a giant robot mech...with rail guns...and sidewinder missiles...yes. OH yes. ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Stein102 - Sounds like you are trying to swallow the chicken whole, and then getting frustrated when it will not fit into your mouth.

You have had several good suggestions from others so far, but tend to shoot them down. Again, because you are trying to swallow the chicken whole ( Just using an analogy)

Take a look at what you are trying to do. Parts of it you can swallow easily, because you know them. Parts you can not!!! That is the part you just want to take a bite out of.

On your Mario Game... you are trying to swallow it whole!!! Instead, try to take a Bite out of the Tilemap.

What I am trying to say, Slice the tilemap off of that chicken, and concentrate soley on that. Write a tilemap program that does nothing more that display a tile map. Once you swallow that part, then make it a scrolling tilemap. Once you swallow that part then make it a scrolling tilemap with impassible objects.

You understand what I am Saying ? Learning Game Programming is like Biting and chewing. Your mind will digest it better if you chew a little at a time!

Poigahn, I'm keeping my eye on you.......

@stein102 - Listen to what Poigahn said. He's pretty much gotten to the heart of your problem and has delivered the answer.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement