Sign in to follow this  
kd7tck

Have you submitted your nominations for worst comapny in America?

ysg    192

If you rank the top 500 things in order of severity, that would be the one of the lowest things.

They pretty much own the water supply in one South American country. You can't collect rain water off your own roof and drink it. It belongs to Coke.

They are accused of telling people to quit their unions or be killed, and then further accused of actually following through with it. ther e is more than one case of this, in several south american countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola#Bottling_plant_murders

They are accused of using highly polluted waste water (to cut costs) in some of their over seas bottling plants.

They had Nazi ties.

I could go on listing stuff all day, and of all the stuff I am aware of, it seems to not even scratch the surface.

Using polluted water, killing people, making coke cheaper than water in some countries, lawfully owning every drop of water, etc, etc, is qualified as poor interaction with customers.

Ha!  I stopped drinking soft drinks because I knew the effect it had on your health (sugar is kryptonite to your teeth), but this is just icing on the cake ^_^ .

way2lazy2care    790

Ok, imagine...
You go out and buy a DVD. You take the DVD out of the case and close the case. Later you go to put it back in the case but there's a new DVD in there! You leave the original one out in a dark room, and the next morning a new case has sprung up around it. You've been sold a magical DVD that makes copies of itself.

That's not how farming works though. Seeds don't just magically grow without the farmer doing anything. Likewise all the plants the farmer doesn't want don't just magically die without the farmer doing anything. The farmers actively plant the seed, then actively kill off the plants they don't want, then actively gather the crop, then actively resell it. It's not like, "Oh shit suddenly I'm buried in soybeans and I can't do anything with them!" It's like, "Oh shit I planted all these soybeans, then killed all the soybeans except for these ones I know to be covered by a license, then I tended to them for 3 months, and then I took them to the market and sold them!" No part of that should be a surprise to the farmer.

The better example I thought of was lets say I make a 3D printer capable of 3D printing itself but it's not open source. Is it legal for you to 3D print a copy of the printer? (yes) Is it legal for you to then resell the copy you made without my permission? (no)

Alpha_ProgDes    6921

The better example I thought of was lets say I make a 3D printer capable of 3D printing itself but it's not open source. Is it legal for you to 3D print a copy of the printer? (yes) Is it legal for you to then resell the copy you made without my permission? (no)

But is it legal for you to use that copy of the copier that you don't have the lease on? hmmm.......

way2lazy2care    790

But is it legal for you to use that copy of the copier that you don't have the lease on? hmmm.......

I'd presume yes (not sure. It probably gets messy if you start selling things with the 3D printer you copied), but I'm pretty sure you're also allowed to use the crop you grew as well as long as you don't sell it or it's derivatives.

ysg    192

lets say I make a 3D printer capable of 3D printing itself

This sounds suspiciously like the replicators 

this topic was already going off topic, don't blame me

And if I have something like that, I'll pretty much stop working and enjoy life :) .

wintertime    4108

Suppose someone made selfreplicating robots and set them free, they get very widespread cause of their usefulness, but have a tiny flaw cause when hit by water they stop working.

Some completely unrelated company gets its hands on a robot and instructs it to go under a roof if it starts raining. Then the company sells replications of that robot and claims noone should allow those to selfreplicate cause they had invented the robots and would now own exclusive rights on them although they never even asked the original inventor. Also the company makes use of airships which they had build and sold earlier for some other purposes to spread water everywhere to extinguish all original robots and generate a monopoly. Wouldnt that be ridiculous?

MilchoPenchev    1178

Wouldnt that be ridiculous?

That one specific scenario - yes, that would be absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Translated into more everyday terms, it seems like a good, albeit a dirty and underhanded, strategy to eliminate the competition. Also illegal, depending on gov. regulations on monopolies. 

And if I have something like that, I'll pretty much stop working and enjoy life .

Sure, until the inevitable happens and the self-printing 3d printers consume all matter in the world, turning the earth into one huge ball of 3d printers orbiting the sun. :)

Wouldnt that be ridiculous?

That one specific scenario - yes, that would be absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Actually that sounds like something the USPTO would grant a patent for.

Much like Method and Apparatus to send messages from one computer to another where a) network is a LAN b) network is a WAN c) network is the internet.

Or like Steal the design of 1960-1980 Braun devices and sue a Korean competitor for making something that looks the same.

Edited by samoth

way2lazy2care    790

Also the company makes use of airships which they had build and sold earlier for some other purposes to spread water everywhere to extinguish all original robots and generate a monopoly.

What is this analogous to?

Also the company makes use of airships which they had build and sold earlier for some other purposes to spread water everywhere to extinguish all original robots and generate a monopoly.

What is this analogous to?

Actively advertising against the use of GIF because of its patents. Then, pretending to own a patent for JPEG, blackmail around $100 million from every major company using JPEG in frivolous lawsuits. Then quickly changing the company's name to Asure, so none of the victims can get their money back.

Edited by samoth