PR4 Demos

Started by
2 comments, last by Tomkh 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi Chris, I''ve watched the screenshots in "Gallery". Hint: I would prefer to have ability of enlarging each screenshot. (resampling to smaller resolution usually hides some antialiasing artifacts!) Because small screenshots not satisfied me.. I''ve downloaded some PR4 demos (flyby and simpleland). IMHO the quality of demos is quite low I''m using Matrox G400, and i noticed some texture filtering problems (even with tri-linear filtering) And the geometry detail seems to be not so high (maybe you should just print some info about current number of visible polygons) I noticed some clipping problems at near-z clipping plane.. Another thing is the collision in SimpleLand (apart from crappy jumping code) It''s far from beeing perfect inside the room and corridors. Sorry for criticism.. but the camera in FlyBy just sucks.. It''s just not smooth.. (maybe use catmull-rom instead of bezier) and for example changing "pitch" some times should really help.. "readme.txt" says that "This was put togheter in less the one day..." Hmm maybe you should sacrifice more time for that demos... Demos shows the PR features afterall - so what I should think about PR after seeing it? Kind regards, Tomkh
developer
Advertisement
The demos were made to test specific graphical features, like bump mapped walls, BSP''s in terrain, water reflections, etc. Things that other people would not be able to figure out. Anyone can take the examples and change the jump or camera code easily.

Also G400 is not exactly a fast card any more. Get something with hardware T&L if you can.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Ok..
i''m not surprised that you ignored other bugs that i reported

And I wasn''t complaining about speed (which T&L is all about)..
developer
Flyby demo seems quite good, especially for one days'' work. The texture alignment isn''t perfect and seems to effect some shadows although over all it is very impressive. If I could make one suggestion as to the engine itself, on my GeForce 2 GTS the high resolution trees/rocks tend to alias a lot and if these textures were perhaps scaled down (by factor of 2) as they get farther away it might give a smoother appearance. Should also help speed.

The terrain texturing is low resolution, similar to most other heightmap solutions though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement