I'm new to 3D and unsure of where to start.

Started by
5 comments, last by Poigahn 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello everybody, I just happened across these forums a little bit ago and started reading some threads, but haven't really found anything that answers my biggest question.

Where do I start? And by where do I start, I really mean, what language/frontend should I pick up to start learning. I know that in the long run I will most likely be utilizing multiple languages, but which one is a great learning tool that I will be able to use while learning it and see some results (even if just small development outside of games.) I've seen a lot of people say it's really up to preference, but as I don't have any real history with 3D programming, I don't have a preference. The most I've dabbled into game development was Game Maker, and a couple of 2D online engines for making ORPG's. I've also messed around with Visual Studio a bit, but nothing spectacular.

Long story short, I'm a complete noob who just wants to start reading and learning a language. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

P.S. I couldn't find a search button, so I apologize if this kind of thing gets posted all the time. Also, as for an eventual goal (talking probably years down the road) I want to create a 3D Platformer similar to Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy (there are tons of other games, but I figured that one is popular enough that people would understand the concept.)

Advertisement

Learn C#, grab Unity3D, and then follow along their 3D platformer demo project at : http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/3d-platformer-tutorial/3yF

You will also need to learn how to create content. I suggest grabbing Blender and learning how to model, animate, and export to unity using the videos at BlenderCookie.com

Thank you very much for the fast response. I will be very busy attempting to learn C#/Unity3D and how to model. Never tried modeling before, hope it's not too difficult lol. Thanks again!

Thank you very much for the fast response. I will be very busy attempting to learn C#/Unity3D and how to model. Never tried modeling before, hope it's not too difficult lol. Thanks again!

Get a good book that assumes you know nothing about programming, and follow along with all the C# programming exercises. Then learn how Unity3D works, and you can import models and script their behavior.

3D modeling only seems hard until you understand how it works. After that, it's purely about creativity, and how much time you want to put into it.

Thanks again! Do you have any suggestions for books? I would like one for modeling as well, unless those don't exist.

Thanks again! Do you have any suggestions for books? I would like one for modeling as well, unless those don't exist.

BlenderCookie, Youtube, and Vimeo.

The official Blender books are expensive, and the software changes very quickly. Blender typically does a big new release every 2 months, so those books are out of date almost as they come out. Any cheap books you might find will usually deal with it before the big 2.5 redesign and will be almost completely useless.

I think video is much better for something like Blender. It's not enough just to know what does what. It really helps to see the workflow and how people actually use it. You learn a lot more by watching someone model stuff then just reading what each button does.

Depending upon deep or shallow your pockets are, there a alternatives in langauges and 3D modeling software.

Trial Amazon or Barnes and Nobel for the books. Search 3D Game programming.

"3D Game Programming All-in-one" Comes with a Companian CD with Samples for Code and 3D Models.

P.S. Search button is in lower left corner of header box!

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement