my beef with the mobile version of gamedev

Started by
5 comments, last by XXChester 11 years, 1 month ago
I use my phone religously at work.... I ride around in a truck 90% of the time. A lot of the time I peruse the site but I rarely ever post from my phone.

1: this is a galaxy s3 same with my old droidX.

Posting there is jo word wrap what so ever. Everything I type till I hit new line is all on one line...eaning at this point I cant read the beging of this sentaence anymore.
You cant scroll down to look at the thread youre posring about... im slow in the head give ke a break. When I rant I tend to go to the point I forget why I was ranting. Having to hit back to reread the thread just deletes everything I typeed.

Im jot sure if thisnis phone specific but also why I click back on the text box... the cursor should auto jump to the end of my texting. Its a b.... to scroll the txt box on a phone. I back track and add things to what. Said already a lot... which puts the cursor above the rest of the text then its almost jot worth appending the rest ofy post the end of it like im doing now. I cant for the lfe of me get it scroll down right now... let alone my phone wont let me hit j instead of n.

Navigating the site is actually quite elegant... I do like that aspect way more than the non mobile version. But the way posting works needs to change. That and one nit picky thing. I would love to be able to see the view count and other such info that the full version has... bit on the mobile version.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Advertisement

Just to get your opinion, do you think we should just work to turn the regular version of the site into a mobile version? I feel like the mobile version is pretty lacking for high-res smartphones.

Id say no... I like the mobile version on my phone aslong as im not posting ;) it just has some rough edges that need smoothing. And I forgot to say... it doesnt do the one line txt box all the time. Like now its working.... yesterday it wasnt. Plus the full version is a mess on a little phones browser. Youd have to completely rearrange your page layout wouldnt you to make it able to squeeze into a small width?
[ dev journal ]
[ Zolo Project ]

The text box works ok on my iPhone, except that it's not WYSIWYG, but when you quote people it inserts the quotes as HTML text (which I assume the WYSIWYG edititor is supposed to transform into BB code?), which isn't valid if you post it.

I'm pretty happy with the mobile version of the site -- it's a lot easier to use than the full version on a little iPhone touch screen, and the option to switch to the desktop version exists as a link at the bottom if it's needed... although there's no way to switch back to the mobile version except by deleting your browser data (cookies, I guess?).

There's a few features missing, like upvote/downvote and quote-selected-text, which would be nice to have... and some sections of the site just aren't reachable (pretty much everything except the forums). That's my main gripe.

The text box works ok on my iPhone, except that it's not WYSIWYG, but when you quote people it inserts the quotes as HTML text (which I assume the WYSIWYG edititor is supposed to transform into BB code?), which isn't valid if you post it.

I'm pretty happy with the mobile version of the site -- it's a lot easier to use than the full version on a little iPhone touch screen, and the option to switch to the desktop version exists as a link at the bottom if it's needed... although there's no way to switch back to the mobile version except by deleting your browser data (cookies, I guess?).

There's a few features missing, like upvote/downvote and quote-selected-text, which would be nice to have... and some sections of the site just aren't reachable (pretty much everything except the forums). That's my main gripe.

Yeah that part sucks with the mobile version. We don't have a good way to package the rest of the site (articles and such) in a mobile format at the moment.

Or just scroll to the bottom of the page and click use mobile version ;) it must be me touching my phone wrong.... I do manage to lock it up a lot from doing too many things too fast.
[ dev journal ]
[ Zolo Project ]

Not a permanent solution but potentially a temporary one, have you tried using the 'desktop site'? There is a setting in the good browsers on phones (chrome etc) where you can request the desktop site under settings.

Just a thought.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement