Game-making platform for everyone

Started by
4 comments, last by MihaelaEpuran 11 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys,
We've built a very nice platform to create, publish and play HTML5 games using just a browser, called Gameleon. The overall idea is to have everything built visually, online, using a browser. You can download the platform's virtual machine running a MMORPG server, and publish the content from the cloud onto the system with a single click.
In many ways, from administration, to publishing and even monetizing, this is "WordPress for game creators" Furthermore, this is Open Source. The realm itself is open source and we want to release an API to integrate with the editor, to add your own functionality and features to it. If you're thinking the games can run just in the browser, we have some nice experiments on the pipeline aimed at exporting native apps for iOS and Android. Will update soon.
We will start the public beta in a few days and you can find out all about us at www.gameleon.co and at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341483420/gameleon-sandbox-game-making-for-everyone (if you like it, spreading the word would be greatly appreciated and we'll call you awesome forever!)
There is also an asset market and there are built-in methods to monetize resulting games - http://www.gameleon.co/platform/monetizing
The main reason I've started this thread is to ask you guys what you think about it, would you see yourselves building, or what would you would contribute to the source code, to make even greater games! Democratize games FTW!

Cheers!

Advertisement

$19 per month for the monthly subscription of using "The Editor".

or

Create my own editor for your "open source front end".

No, thank you. That's what I think smile.png.

Further comment: It seems to be more targeted to designers, not programmers. It looks kind of limited to me, because the game can only support only the things "editor" and "realm" does support. Getting into it and hacking additional stuff requires a lot of knowledge, plus getting familiar with your API.

Right now Gameleon supports features for creating multiplayer RPG games. While we were developing our own game using Gameleon, we rarely encountered problems with missing features, and when we did, we tried to implement them into the editor. If it looks limited, maybe it's because no software developer can think at all the possibilities a user desires to have within the editor. All we can do is cover as much as possible ( and Gameleon does have everything you need to create a RPG game) , and for the rest of the features, you have the Asset Market. So basically you will have the editor which will be constantly updated by us, and the Asset Market where you can find new plug-ins for the editor. You can also make your own plug-ins and customize your editor to fit your project if you really need a feature that no one else thought about till now.

On the other hand,the realm is open source and has no commercial limitations.It can be self-hosted and you can use it to create games with your own programming skills,without any cost. You might think it is a big hustle cause you have to get familiar with our API, but when we asked people about how they want to use Gameleon, the responses were equally split between using the editor and hacking into Gameleon’s engine so that they can program the games without the editor. That's why we give people the possibility to choose and not stick only with the editor or only with the "hacking our realm" idea

I received some messages asking me more about our platform and the monetization part. Some people could get confused,so I decided to post some answers here to clear things out.

Q:So this is some kind of Cloud Platform where the games have to be hosted in the cloud?

A:The game won't be hosted in the cloud,the only thing that is in the cloud is the editor itself so that you can use it whenever you want and wherever you go ( that means you can use it at home,in the park, downtown while you enjoy a coffe etc). The game you create will be on a virtual machine, therefore you can choose the server you want to host it ( your own server, our servers or amazon servers)

Q: Will I be able to make some money for myself with Gameleon?

A: You’ll be able to monetize your games using a built-in asset marketplace as well as through premium game content. Gameleon will feature a comprehensive marketplace of user-submitted game assets with anything from models and animations to sound bites, UI elements and NPC scripts. You and any other Gameleon users will be able to easily upload and auction their assets, boosting your game-making experience.

That’s not all - you’ll also find support for adding “premium model” items and power ups in your games. Players interested in unlocking new aesthetic options, exclusive abilities or special equipment will pay to acquire them, providing you with yet another means of monetizing your creations.
Q: So what happen if the project is Succesfull but 1 year after release they realise they dont make enough money and close it down? Then you have nothing left thanks to the cloud.
A: No matter what will happen with our company,the games you will make will be yours ( cause you will have it on a virtual machine you'll download from us-for free) and you will be able to use it for as long as you want.You own your game - even though the editing is done in the cloud, you host your game on the virtual machine that you download as part of the platform.
That machine is yours to own, run or hack and your game will stay alive and yours regardless of what happens to the cloud editor or Gameleon.

Because a lot of people asked for more information about Gameleon, we made an FAQ video where we answer some of the most common questions. We will try to post FAQ videos as often as we can, so don't hesitate to ask us anything you wanna know, on our Kickstarter campaign or on the forums.
http://www.kickstart...ne/posts/428205

We also announced in the video that we will be releasing a virtual machine with Bugtopia ( our demo game) on it so that you guys can take a look at it and have some fun. Another great thing will be the contest we will launch where you will be able to use a very light version of our editor to create games and win awesome prizes! smile.png

The awesome Indie Game HQ has featured Gameleon's Kickstarter campaign in a cool, concise article. Check it out and be sure to share the story!

http://indiegamehq.com/gameleon-kickstarter/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement