How do people make money from flash/HTML5 games?

Started by
9 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 1 month ago

Just curious, they're there, people still make them, but what's in

it for the producers of these games? Do they rely on people

coming in and selling ads?

Advertisement
Microtransactions are the big income source for web games, income from ads tends to be fairly minor unless you can get millions of displays.
Most smaller games are made because someone wanted to make them, not because someone wanted to make money.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Microtransactions are the big income source for web games, income from ads tends to be fairly minor unless you can get millions of displays.
Most smaller games are made because someone wanted to make them, not because someone wanted to make money.

Microtransactions? What do you mean?

If you're saying you don't know what microtransactions are: It's a common source of money for game makers these days. I recommend you try Googling the term. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microtransactions

If you're saying you don't know how microtransactions apply to "flash/HTML5 games," then that's a different question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It's also pretty common to sell minigames for a lump sum to a social gaming website or browser-based game. For example, virtual pet sites often buy flash or html games intended to take less than half an hour to play. More large-scale games, with 6-10 hours of gameplay time or more, are commonly sold to casual gamers through resale sites like BigFish - the payment in this case has the game maker earning a percentage from each copy sold.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If you're saying you don't know what microtransactions are: It's a common source of money for game makers these days. I recommend you try Googling the term. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=microtransactions

If you're saying you don't know how microtransactions apply to "flash/HTML5 games," then that's a different question.

The second :) . I was unclear.

I don't see how this applies to flash games.

I currently make HTML5 mobile games for a living, and have generated $50,000 in revenue for myself and the content creators I work with over the past 11 months. My HTML5 games make most of their money from companies that wish to host the games on their websites and gaming portals, and they pay an upfront fee for the right to do so. HTML5 games have nothing on Flash when it comes to desktop, but mobile is where HTML5 is valuable. I'm working with companies that are paying $600+ for Tic Tac Toe games. Not even kidding.

Some of my games make money with ads, however there are only one or two companies doing this well and my endevors with them ar eonly just beginning.

You can check out my blog about HTML5 games and game dev in general at Touch To Start, and if you're interested in monetizing HTML5 games I have written an ebook called Making Money With HTML5 which has launched over a hundred aspiring developers into the market already.

Hope this helps!

What do you use to develop your HTML5 games? Any specific development tools?

The second smile.png . I was unclear.

Check the games on kongregate or facebook, quite many of them use microtransactions to sell additional content, in game advantages, etc for flash games.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

The second smile.png . I was unclear.

Check the games on kongregate or facebook, quite many of them use microtransactions to sell additional content, in game advantages, etc for flash games.

Aaaah, I know about that :) . Again, I should have been more specific. There are flash

games where they're hosted on a site that seem to get money only from advertising,

such as this.

http://www.flashtowerdefence.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement